Convert SQL 2012 standalone to Always on

Hi,

I have a production SQL 2012 server with one database. Is it possible to convert that to two node always on cluster? What will happen to the existing database residing in that server? Please advise.

Thanks.

March 21st, 2015 4:26pm

Hello,

You cannot deploy AlwaysOn on the same server.

Deploying Always On Availability Groups requires a Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) cluster. Each availability replica of a given availability group must reside on a different node of the same WSFC cluster.

An AlwaysOn Failover Cluster requires two nodes too.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 21st, 2015 5:07pm

Hello,

Is it possible to convert that to two node always on cluster?

That depends. If you're talking about an Always On Failover Cluster Instance, the answer is no. If you're talking about Always On Availability Groups, the answer is yes.

What will happen to the existing database residing in that server?

That depends, let us know which technology you're referring to.

-Sean

March 21st, 2015 7:16pm

Hello,

Deploying Always On Availability Groups requires a Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) cluster. Each availability replica of a given availability group must reside on a different node of the same WSFC cluster.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

March 21st, 2015 9:02pm

Hello,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

March 21st, 2015 9:02pm

I am talking about always on availability group.
March 22nd, 2015 10:31am

I am talking about always on availability group.

ok. IMHO,what we are trying to find is ,

1.do you already have 2 node windows failover cluster setup? 

2. is your current production sql server 2012 instance installed on one of the node?

3. do you have another instance installed on the other node?

if the answer to all three questions is 'yes', then it you met the basic *prerequisites* to convert the current database as 'always on' database. 

if the answer is no to anyone of them, then it is No and you have to configure\install them.

March 22nd, 2015 10:51am

I have one node in production without failover clustering. I want to and another node and install windows failover cluster on both nodes. My question is, is it possible to convert the standalone to a cluster with an existing database instance.

March 23rd, 2015 12:39pm

in short, yes, you can convert the stand alone instance but you are not ready yet.

you need to be ready before you can convert and to be ready

1. add another node with similar OS and patching

2. install in windows Failover clustering and add both the nodes.

3. install the sql server on the second node.

and make sure it meets all the prerequisites. google - *always on prerequisites*.. than enabled always on the configuration manager.

i basically repeat what I said above.

March 23rd, 2015 1:38pm

Cool. So when I install the second node and install windows clustering on both nodes, will there be any downtime on the existing database instance or do i need to make any changes to the existing database instance?  Also can you forward any links on the configuration on Always On Availability Group?

March 23rd, 2015 1:50pm

Cool. So when I install the second node and install windows clustering on both nodes, will there be any downtime on the existing database instance or do i need to make any changes to the existing database instance?  Also can you forward any links on the configuration on Always On Availability Group?

Hi DNair,

You can configure a SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Group by performing the steps in below blog.

Step-By-Step: Creating a SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Group

And please note that there is downtime on the existing SQL Server instance after enabling the AlwaysOn Availability Groups option in SQL Server Configuration Manager, because we need to restart the SQL Server instance to make the change take effect.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

March 23rd, 2015 10:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics