Convert .IMG to .ISO?

This should be a simple thing but wow, I am running into brick wall after brick wall. 

I am a Microsoft partner and have a MAPS subscription so I download internal-use software from the MS website.  All files are in .img format.  Oddly enough, Huper-V under 2008 R2 seems to only support mounting .iso files.  Kinda lame since their main download format seems to be .img, at least from the Partner download portals. 

In some cases I can just rename the file from .img to .iso and it works.  Or of course I can burn .img to a DVD but my goal here is to have the convenience of an archive of .iso files I can mount to any virutal machine as needed.  I haven't played with too many converters yet, but the first and only one I've tried, called IMG to ISO (www.imgtoiso.com) did not work, gives an error immediately after I click Convert saying it can't create the vdisk. 

Before I start hitting the shareware sites and DVD ripping forums etc, I was wondering is there a "Microsoft way" of handling this? 

I'd love to know why they put .img files up there to begin with since Hyper-V doesn't even support them.  :|

Thanks all. 

January 9th, 2013 1:18am

All the files I've downloaded are ISO, Win7, Win8, Win2012, Win2K8.  What are you trying to download specifically?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 9th, 2013 11:43pm

Hmmmm I must be getting myself confused.  I just checked a Win7 file I grabbed last week, .iso.  Yet the 2008 R2 w/ SP1 file was .img yesterday and I could swear I've seen others in the past as .img.  Maybe I'm just frazzled.   

I'd go to verify this right now but it seems somebody at MIcrosoft is messing with the website code, the www.microsoft.com/partner Sign in link is down, giving a HTTP 405 (time now is 4:26PM Eastern). 

January 10th, 2013 12:26am

HI

I found the same problem I dowloaded Windows 7 sp1 and it came as .img file. I have a difficult time converting this to .Iso format.

This is frustrating please advise. I did try that imgtoiso dowload of cnet and it does not work.

Thanks

January 23rd, 2013 8:13am

Where are you downloading from?  I am looking at Win7 SP1 partner downloads now and it says "Download format" "ISO" for both Pro and Ultimate.
The download format for Win8 is also ISO.
  • Edited by smjain Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:57 PM extra OSes
January 23rd, 2013 5:55pm

Where are you downloading from?  I am looking at Win7 SP1 partner downloads now and it says "Download format" "ISO" for both Pro and Ultimate.
January 23rd, 2013 8:55pm

• Edited by Steve JainMVP Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:57 PM extra OSes

Hi Steve,

I am dowloading from Action pack subscription website.  I see the problem. When it starts downloading and it asks you save it has a default type of .img on desktop. You have to switch it to all files *.* and then save it as .iso extention..

I am testing it now but I think that is what is happening.

Thanks

January 23rd, 2013 11:31pm

That solved it.

January 24th, 2013 12:04am

This is very interesting.  So, renaming the extension as you download it is somehodifferent than just renaming the extension once the file is local?  I'll give it a try next time I see a .img at the website, though afterwards I had tried a few more downloads and they were .iso.  A bit of an interesting situation this is, but anyway, I'll go with what works.  Thanks guys. 
January 24th, 2013 7:00am

Ah, I always use the Download Manager, not the web browser.

I did a test download with the browser, you can just rename the .IMG extension to .ISO and the file works correctly, so you don't need to redownload.

January 24th, 2013 8:50pm

I renamed the img to iso using the web browser option during download and it loaded fine in VMWare ESXi 5.1.  One trick that troubled me was making sure I check the "Power on at startup" option for the CD/DVD device config.
  • Edited by scanabarcd Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:47 PM
March 13th, 2013 3:38am

I renamed the img to iso using the web browser option during download and it loaded fine in VMWare ESXi 5.1.  One trick that troubled me was making sure I check the "Power on at startup" option for the CD/DVD device config.
March 13th, 2013 6:38am

Well I must say, I think I'm going to track down a Microsoft Product Manager and complain.  This is really annoying.  I had forgotten about this img to iso issue, so I just downloaded Win 8 Pro and it was.img.  Doesn't matter whether it's via the Download Manager or not, the file is the same.  I renamed to .iso after downloading, nothing thinking.  Sure enough the burn failed, then I remembered this thread.  So I'll re-download and try the rename-before-download thing. 

But still, why is MIcrosoft putting some files as .img, when they can't be burned, can't be converted, and can't be loaded as an image in Hyper-V?  And just a little extra griping, but what the hell is the point of somebody making a program called IMGTOISO when it can't even convert IMG to ISO..., THE ONLY FUNCTION it's meant to do?  Sorry, just having a bad Friday morning :) To top if off, yet again, Microsoft's MAPS website is on the partial fritz lately, I get Error 700 yesterday when trying to get to the MAPS download page, then today I'm clicking Sign In, then clicking the Windows LIve ID option, and then just get a 404.  Gotta love it. 

March 22nd, 2013 4:39pm

Having same problem, I'm an MS Partner with an Action Pack subscription, and many of the downloads are in IMG format.  I took my Server Std 2012 IMG file that I'd already downloaded and renamed it to .ISO (caps), and it seems to be working for my Hyper-V 2012 server - I am able to use it as an ISO image to install a new VM from.  So renaming after download worked for me, at least for Server Std 2012, hope this helps you viProCon.

• Edited by Xeiran Monday, April 08, 2013 2:54 AM
April 8th, 2013 2:53am

Having same problem, I'm an MS Partner with an Action Pack subscription, and many of the downloads are in IMG format.  I took my Server Std 2012 IMG file that I'd already downloaded and renamed it to .ISO (caps), and it seems to be working for my Hyper-V 2012 server - I am able to use it as an ISO image to install a new VM from.  So renaming after download worked for me, at least for Server Std 2012, hope this helps you viProCon.

April 8th, 2013 5:53am

Wow when you go back and read your posts, the ones infused with frustration, you almost want to edit it so you don't sound so disgrunted.  But I'll leave it as it should be. 

Xeiran:  renaming before downloading is the only way for me it seems but I haven't tried the Server 2012 file yet.  Or maybe Hyper-V in 2012 can recognize .img even if renamed?  I won't be doing a server 2012 install for about a month or so so I'll have to wait to try it myself. 

Thanks for letting me know about that. 

I never took the time to find a product manager, but since the MPN website was doing one of those "help us improve" survey type things, I took that oppoortunity to let them know in no uncertain terms about what's happenign with this and how frustrating it is when you have to restart a 2-4 hour download just for a silly file extension issue.  I guess we'll see :)

April 8th, 2013 5:07pm

I have just renamed my Action Pack Windows 7 source .img to .iso and it has worked fine on MS Windows Server 2008R2 Hyper-V.

April 18th, 2013 8:08am

I know this is going to sound bad but really ???

This is like me saying oh yes I'll go download that .doc file but wait I want it as an excel document, I know I'll just rename it to .xls upon download and it'll convert it automatically wile I'm downloading. yay. 
April 28th, 2013 4:46pm

I know, I sometimes think of this thread as foolish even though I started it.  Yet before knowing you could rename the file (and for me, I discovered later in the process that renaming only works if you rename AS you download, not after the file is local), I didn't understand why Microsoft woudl issue file types that can't even be loaded in Hyper-V nor burned conveniently.  I got more fired up after trying to find a decent img to iso converter and not finding a single one that works.  [unrelated] It's like with rar and zip password crackers.  I have never once found one that actually works yet all these people out there seem to think they're doing something useful by making them.  So I have this chip on my shoulder about utility coders who can't even make the single, core function of their product work.  it's like creating a spreadsheet program and the ony thing it does is Addition & Subtraction or something.  lol monkey business. 

April 29th, 2013 3:47pm

Thanks Steve, couldn't imagine MS would do such a "naive" error, but then

anyway thanks fro taking the time to write this!

May 31st, 2013 1:30pm

I had already downloaded a file with an .img extension (Windows 8). I changed it to .iso and I was able to mount it in Hyper-v. It shouldn't matter if you use the download manager or download thru the browser, or if you change the extension when downloading. I had downloaded thru the browser because I get a much faster transfer rate, in case anyone's interested.
  • Proposed as answer by CapSnap Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:04 AM
June 21st, 2013 3:25pm

I had already downloaded a file with an .img extension (Windows 8). I changed it to .iso and I was able to mount it in Hyper-v. It shouldn't matter if you use the download manager or download thru the browser, or if you change the extension when downloading. I had downloaded thru the browser because I get a much faster transfer rate, in case anyone's interested.
June 21st, 2013 6:25pm

ISObuddy worked for me!
June 27th, 2013 11:06am

Same here. I've always just downloaded all my MAPS media as-is with and I just add .ISO to the end of the name as required. I keep the original .IMG extension as part of the filename just so I know that's how it came. Never had a problem doing it this way. e.g. SQL2012_BI_xxx.img.iso
August 1st, 2013 4:54am

I have had the samethat I have problem, after I had downloaded this file and send it to an outpost (taking 3 hours of copying) i found out that the img file did not start. renamed in ISO, did not work.

Then I downloaded winrar, extracted the renamed ISO file and executed the setup exe.. wroks like a charm, but is pretty annoying to provide a non supported format

Cheers

Jerry

August 14th, 2013 4:27pm

So claerly this problem is not uncommon and I'm not losing my mind.  It works for some, and not for others.  Not that I think we'll easily resolve this but if anybody from MIcrtosoft is viewing this - perhaps now is the time to take a look at not posting any .img files to the download section. 

I'd be curious to know what common factors are involved with the computers having the prolem.  IE8? XP? Those are what I was using.  Since I was just using HTTP download and was having to rename the file prior to clicking Save, vs. renaming it once it was stored on my computer, it's probably eitherthe OS or IE that's the root of th eissue.  So again, XP/IE8 and their outdated code - maybe a .net htnig, who knows.  Clearly something differentiates the experience for differnt users and it is obviously not the users themselves doing something wrong. 

August 14th, 2013 6:05pm

Before I start hitting the shareware sites and DVD ripping forums etc, I was wondering is there a "Microsoft way" of handling this? 

I'd love to know why they put .img files up there to begin with since Hyper-V doesn't even support them.  :|

Thanks all. 

Another solution: Burn the .IMG-File using ImgBurn to a disc. You can then rip off an .iso-file from the disc or use the disc. Awesome slow for sure.
Found a solution for me in that matter as i have 3 MBit/s and downloading again is more annoying for me than the burn/rip-process.
Hope this may help you get a solution for this issue.

November 13th, 2013 2:31pm

John, there is a distinct difference between a .doc and a .xls file, while there is no difference between a Windows64bit.ISO and a Windows64bit.IMG file, except that the one is supported and the other needs fumbling, manhandling and a lot of frustration to further increase the stupidity-image that Microsoft holds over its users. 

It boggles the mind why developers would insult their customers at this level, for so long, and so intensely and are unable to worry about their company. 

July 15th, 2015 11:16pm

UltraISO м.
July 20th, 2015 10:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics