Connection problem with 4 IP on a Windows 2008 to MYSQL with IP restriction
Hi, I have a windows 2008 computer with 4 IP configured for web servers. I am unable to connect to a MYSQL database via QDBC.On the other side of MYSQL, they have some sort of IP restriction, and only one of our IP is included in that list, therefore I am not surewhether Windows uses a different IP to connect to that MYSQL database or something. We did troubleshoot the QDBC connection to other MYSQL database without the restriction, and it was perfectly fine. One thing i should say about this machine is that it was upgraded from a 2003 server into 2008, and back then when it still on 2003, it has 4 ip as well and it connect perfectly fine. anyone can give any insight on how to troubleshoot it? can I create a outbound firewall rule to only hit the port 3306 with specified outgoing IP address ? thanks !
March 3rd, 2010 6:48pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. From the description, you cannot connect to MySQL database from a Windows Server 2008 server with 4 IP addresses. 1. By design, IP traffic should be sourced from the first bound IP address. Please check which IP address the database traffics source from. Is it the first bound IP address? Is it identical to IP address that you access other resources with? If you are not sure about this, you may install the Network Monitor on the Windows Server 2008 server and capture outbound traffic. To correct the issue, you may follow the post/document below to check how it works if you disable Media Sense on the NIC. How to disable Media Sense in Windows 7? http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/18277955-3f2c-4328-bd87-d3567579b645 TCP/IP Registry Values for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/2/6/c26893a6-46c7-4b5c-b287-830216597340/tcpip_reg.doc 2. No, you needn't. By default, all outbound traffic will be allowed in Windows Server 2008 and there is no pre-defined DENY rule there. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2010 1:10pm

Yes, it should be the first bound IP address, and that is true when I ping the server by its DNS name, it return the first bound IP address. But I think I do need to install Network Monitor to see which IP it is sending off the request to MySQL via QDBC.. What does Media Sense has to do with this, if I may ask ? For firewall, what I am saying is would I be able to define a rule to "force" traffic goign to port 3306 to come from this certain IP only ? Thanks fore the reply !
March 7th, 2010 9:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics