Connecting to server

Hi I've just installed SQL Server 2012 Express on my laptop. When I open management studio the connect to server dialog comes up. I've tried localhost and C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server but neither work. I am using the app as a stand alone practice area to hone my SQL skills.  Also when I go to browse servers the local server list is blank.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

May 24th, 2015 4:23pm

Try add the sql express instance name when connecting, i.e.

localhost\SQLExpress

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2015 4:31pm

Sorry tried that didn't work. Thanks anyway.
May 25th, 2015 4:18am

Sorry tried that didn't work. Thanks anyway.
Try open Administration Tools -> Services. Find the "SQL Server" service and make sure it's started
May 25th, 2015 4:24am

see sqlserver services is running ?

May 25th, 2015 4:29am

it is local server then try .

May 25th, 2015 4:33am

Open SQL server Configuration Manager  (All Programs\Microsoft SQL Server 2012\Configuration Tools) and see if your SQL servers are running or not or look into the Services.msc and see if the SQL server is installed and started. 

May 25th, 2015 5:25am

Hi Bill,

What error message do you get when connecting to SQL Server?

From your description, you cannot see the express instance in the Local Servers tab in the Browse for Servers dialog, could you please run the discovery report to check that if Database Engine Services of SQL Server 2012 Express is installed properly on your machine?

If SQL Server 2012 database engine service is not installed, please install it firstly. However, if the SQL Server 2012 database engine service has been installed, , the reason may due to SQL Server cannot get the appropriate registry entry information in the System Registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names). Please make sure that your account has read permission on the registry, also make sure that you right click on SSMS and choose Run As Administrator to start it.

Thanks,
Lydia

May 25th, 2015 11:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics