Connecting between two private networks within a large corporate network.

I am working with a large building management system, and attempting to integrate a couple different area of the facility together.  Currently, the two systems are running on different private networks connected to their own server, which is each connected to the same large corporate network:

I don't need the separate networks to necessarily talk to each other, but I would like to, for instance, connect from server B to Machine A-1, and from server A to Machine B-2.

As far as i can tell, what needs to be done is have a router set up on each of the servers, with a route set to the other server's corp IP - but wanted clarification on how that is actually done in these OS's.

July 22nd, 2013 12:43pm

As far as i can tell, what needs to be done is have a router set up on each of the servers, with a route set to the other server's corp IP - but wanted clarification on how that is actually done in these OS's

I don't see how having a router setup on computer A and B alone is going to help you.  What you need is a router between subnet 192.168.92.x/24 & 192.168.1.x/24.  You could have a router between Computer A and B, but you would then also have to install routing services on Computer A and B for this to work.

Options:

1)  Collapse Computer A and Computer B into one computer with 3 NICs (private A, corp, and private B). Enable RRAS on this server.

2) Setup Computer "C" with two NICs.  Each NIC connected to 192.168.92.x & 192.168.1.x and either enable RRAS, or simply enable IP Fowarding.  

I would recommend option 1.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2013 3:23pm

Sorry, let me clarify.  I am not trying to get the separate 192.168 subnets to see each other specifically (if they do, it won't hurt).  I am trying to be able to see either machine network from either server.  The two servers are not collocated, so they cannot really be combined.  I realize i will likely need two router services to do this, one on each server.  My question was how to go about setting up those routers (I'm new to RRAS, and not sure if this can even be done on the win7 system).

July 23rd, 2013 3:07am

Hello,

your network design is not a good idea, Windows 7 is NOT a server OS and Also routing should be done by routers and not any Server OS version.

Your design should be:

corporate network router     -> router networkA > internal machines 192.168.92.x
                                   |--------> router networkB > internal machines 192.168.1.x

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2013 3:52am

I agree with the comments above. Better to buy a router to do the job, will be less expensive than hardware for your server + license cost.
July 23rd, 2013 5:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics