Connecting 2008 R2 to win7 network
setting up a network in my home. 5pc's, all running win7, and a server running server 2008 R2. had to get it up fast, so i added the server to the router, and set it up as file storage. However, access to the server is very spotty. It does not show up on the network page from any computer on the network, and typing the address (\\tanksvr) doesnt always work. I created user accounts on the server for all users, but this also works spotty. I would like to change this setup to have the server as a DC, so all users sign into the server to access... my question is this. I use an ISP that runs fiber optic, has assigned me a static IP, DNS addresses, etc. If my understanding is correct, i need to turn off DHCP on my router and assign static IP's to all computers that are physically connected to the LAN? how does this work with the wireless devices that hook up to the router? do I need to put the server between the router and the ISP (2 NIC's?) would it be in my best interest to start from scratch on the server end? any help is greatly appreciated. I am pulling my hair out, lol
August 18th, 2011 8:06pm

Set static IP on router (IP from ISP) Set static IP on DC (From subnet configured on router) Configure DHCP to give out addresses and create a scope Set computers to dynamic (resolves your wireless question) If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 18th, 2011 8:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics