Connect domain to internet
I'm newbie here. I have created a domain on hyper-v machine. how to connect my domain to internet? 1. physical machine connects to DSL. 2. Hyper-V machines use Internal network adapter. DC has DNS server installed. i want my Windows 7 client connect to internet. thanks Aaron
August 25th, 2011 12:24pm

So I am not a hyper-v expert, but with regard to general virtualization techniques... the guest would be configured to have its NIC bound to some network configuration managed by the host system. For instance, one option may be to "bridge" the guest and host on the same network adapter, or another option may be to use NAT'ing so that the guest is on a private segment and the VM software NATs on that interface, or finally, place the guest on a complete "private/local only" segment. If the guest is on a private segment, the host computer would need to route the traffic, if you want to get traffic out of that box. For instance, if hte host system was running Win Server, you would install RRAS on the host system. The guest network would be configured to use the host's private side NIC as its gateway. In this scenario, assuming a single subnet for your physical hosts, your internet router and RRAS server would need to share routing information so that when traffic leave the RRAS server outbound to the internet, the internet router knows how to route traffic destined for the VM guest by sending it back to the "public" side interface on the RRAS server. If you simply want to have the host and guest computer on the same network segment, look for an option to have guest VM share/bridge its NIC with the physical host. Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2011 1:34pm

I agree. It really has nothing to do with Hyper-V. You have to proceed just as you would with a physical network. You need a router. If you use internal you will have to route through the host OS. I would use a private virtual network and route through a vm with one NIC in private and one linked to the physical network through an external virtual network. Remember that you need to make changes to NAT if you are runnng a domain. The clients must use the DC for DNS and your local DNS service needs to forward to a public DNS (so that it can resolve foreign URLs for its clients). Bill
August 25th, 2011 8:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics