Confusion on Natural Key Primary, vs Surrogate Key Primary

Hello everyone. I am pretty confused on whether I should be adding an autoIncremeted Primary key (surrogate key) to my table, or simply defining a primary Key on my 6 column Natural key in my specific instance.   I want to give some background as to why the confusion and some information on my data-base table and I am hoping people can comment.

Background on Table Purpose:

My company receives files from clients that have ~200 columns.  I created one very large data-table (I know I could theoreticallysplit it out into multiple tables, let's ignore that for now). The table now has 14 million + records.  The Natural Key on the table are the following columns.

LoanNumber, Module, Data-month, LoanServicer,ClientName,LoadedDate.   (Note LoadedDate IS party of the key, since I can get the same record on multiple days, and I want to store all records so the LoadedDate is included to make the row unique).

Every single query that is going to be run against the database will use 3-5 of the Natural Key columns.  They will be queries such as "select * from population  where Datamonth='8/31/2015' and module='ABC' and ClientName='Client #1' and LoanServicer='Servicer1".    

The table gets updated with ~1 million rows a month, which happens in 100-200k records submitted per transaction.  Meaning I have 5-10 transactions a month generating new records.  

Because of this fact I thought I should define a PRIMARY KEY (NON clustered)  on these columns.  It is my understanding that a Primary Key constraint will require the columns to be unique and Not Null (which I need) and also add indexes to the columns.  I then added an Auto-incremented (Identity) Column to the database and made that the clustered index. (Since it is an IDENTITY  column it is always increasing and a good candidate for the Clustered Index).    However from reading online, I have gotten the impression that your Clustered index should also Be your Primary key.... Is this true?  I don't see why they have to relate to each-other at all?  

My Questions are....

#1 Should I make my Identity column my primary key and remove it from my Natural Keys?    (Aka should I have a surrogate key by definition)

#2 If I do this I still want to maintain Uniqueness on my natural keys... How should I do this?  Should I simply make a Not Null Unique constraint?  

#3  Zero queries will access this database through the now "surrogate" key (the auto-incremented natural key)....  They will all use the natural key columns... So do I need to add regular indexes back onto the Natural Key columns?   If so what type of indexes should I include on them?

#4 What's the point of a clustered index on an auto-incremented column if that column will Never be used in queries?   I know it is "not good practice..." but what if I put a clustered index on the 6 natural key columns (5 of which are large varchars() )....  Since a clustered index helps reads from the table, wouldn't this be the best option?  It would slow down inserts some (and cause index fragmentation), but if i'm only doing inserts 5-10 times a month is this really a problem?  Couldn't I just re-build the index nightly during system off hours?

I appreciate all of your help and guidance!

September 10th, 2015 12:27am

1. Read those articles

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson/archive/2010/03/13/database-design-surrogate-keys-part-1-of-many-rules-for-surrogate-keys-e-f-codd-and-c-j-date-research-and-problems-they-solve.aspx

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson/archive/2006/07/08/427.aspx

2. Yes, just create an UNIQUE Constaint

3. People create a CI in an IDENTITY to prevent fragmentation, and having an unique index on the natural keys to cover/speed up the queries

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 1:16am

Hi,

Refer these links,

http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/surrogate-keys-vs-natural-keys-for-primary-key/

http://www.agiledata.org/essays/keys.html

September 10th, 2015 1:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics