Conflicting MAC addresses issue
ok here is my situation..i am recieving this error message on my 2000 server: "The system detected an address conflict for ip address 72.11.85.162 with the system having network hardware address 00:02:FD:76:BF:D1.The local interface has been disabled"I tried pinging the IP adress from the server and recieve an error "host unreachable"I can ping it fine from my desktop computer...I entered in the command arp -a from the command line to give me a list of MAC address on the network.. the one listed abouve is not there. However our router is very similar with the MAC address 00:02:FD:76:BF:C1... My boss cannot remote desktop into the Server from his MAC computer however i can VNC into the server from my desktopI recently had to assign a static IP to a piece of new equiptment, right before i started getting this error. However once again the MAC address doesnt list the one above.. would assigning a duplicate IP address cause this error?Please HELP ASAP!!!!Thanks ahead of time
November 6th, 2009 4:09am

The error is actually reporting a duplicate IP Address, not a duplicate MAC. So yes, you have probably assigned a duplicate ip to that device.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 6th, 2009 5:32am

Hello, Thank you for your post here. Yes, the error indicates that you have assigned a duplicated IP address on the network and a device with MAC 00:02:FD:76:BF:D1 has taken that address. About the duplicate IP address detection in Windows, you may refer to the Duplicate Address Detection section in: TCP/IP Networking from the Wire Up http://blogs.technet.com/networking/archive/2009/03/30/tcp-ip-networking-from-the-wire-up.aspx If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
November 6th, 2009 9:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics