Configuring a Virtual Desktop Collection of WS 2012 r2

Hi guys

What I want to ask is kind of tricky, or maybe I do not know.

I have a production environment in a University with Windows 7 and Windows 8 collections for students who wnated to access computers from Labs or Library.

Now, they asked me to configure the same Virtual desktops collections for Server 2012 r2.

I told them and I did a RD Session Host but, they told me that what they want is to have 30 "servers" in a collection with basic configs, no AD, no DNS or roles to teach the students how to configure those things, and no relation with the Production AD.

Can you help me telling me an option to offer them, because despite RD Session host the only thing that I have is create 30 VM with WS2012 and make a regular RDP to each one.

Thanks

July 29th, 2015 1:12am

Hi Jose,

Now, they asked me to configure the same Virtual desktops collections for Server 2012 r2.

they told me that what they want is to have 30 "servers" in a collection with basic configs, no AD, no DNS or roles to teach the students how to configure those things, and no relation with the Production AD.

So, they want a virtual desktops collection with 30 servers with basic configurations.

You may create a virtual machine template which has basic configurations they want, then sysprep it, after that you can create a Pooled Virtual Desktop collection with 30 virtual desktops which will be created based on the template you have created before.

Although, as far I as know, virtual desktops can only be running on client OS.

Here are some step by step blogs below I suggest you refer to for detailed steps:

Step-By-Step: Deploying Virtual Desktops with Windows Server 2012

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2013/04/25/step-by-step-deploying-virtual-desktops-with-windows-server-2012.aspx

Deploying Windows 8 Virtual Desktop Infrastructure on Windows Server-2012

http://blog.itvce.com/2012/08/21/deploying-windows-8-virtual-desktop-infrastructure-on-windows-server-2012/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2015 5:04am

Hi Jose,

I just got further knowledge that VDI running on Server Operating System is available in the incoming Windows Server 2016.

More information can be found here:

NEW RDS deployment model: Personal Session Desktops!

http://microsoftplatform.blogspot.nl/2015/06/new-rds-deployment-model-personal.html?m=1

Best Regards,

Amy

July 30th, 2015 9:34pm

Amy

Thanks for your answer and yes, youre right, Virtual Desktops are only for OS clients, and thats what I need, a confirmation from somebody from Microsoft.

What I did was created VMs for WS2012 with RDP enable to make possible students can practice tech labs each one in a server using the 2 available spots for each server.

And also thanks for the information about Server 2016.You know when it is going to be launched?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2015 4:59pm

Hi Jose,

You know when it is going to be launched?

I dont know the exact date, though it should be in 2016.

Best Regards,

Amy

August 2nd, 2015 9:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics