Configuring Windows Server 2003 to play nicely with my new ISP
Hi, I have a very small network in my office that is centered around a Windows Server 2003 domain server. The server is set up as the DHCP server and has previously connected to a DSL modem from AT&T. This was all setup by my network consultant a few years ago. I just had Comcast install new server and need to configure my Windows server to get the new static IP address from the comcast cable modem. I am not sure what is involved with this, but thought that it would not be that difficult, but now I am running around in circles trying to make it work properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Matt
October 16th, 2009 11:15pm

There are a few problems with your description. First, if you need a static IP configured on the server, then this is manually configured on the IP properties bound to the NIC. You can access those properties from the Adapter settings. In addition, it appears that you have the DC set up as a DHCP server. You also indicate possible DHCP services enabled on the comcast cable modem. My recommendation is that only one device on the subnet provide DHCP services, unless you intentionally need redundancy in the design where you would split the DHCP scopes. My feeling is that this is not intentional and you may not be sure why DHCP services are running on multiple devices. In summary, recommedations:* Statically assign an IP to the new Server.* Only have one DHCP server running on your local network (could be either the Win 2003 server or the comcast modem).
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 16th, 2009 11:25pm

Hi Jorge - thanks for the quick response. I have already disabled the DHCP server on the Comcast modem, so as to let the Win 2003 server play that role. But when I replace the AT&T modem with the comcast modem, nothing works. So I assume there are settings somewhere inside Win Ser 2003 that must be set with the IP information from comcast, right? These are the settings I cannot find. The only ones that I found were the one in the TCP/IP properties of the NIC, but that is just the local IP address of the server on the network, not the ISP IP address information. Thanks! Matt
October 16th, 2009 11:45pm

It really depends on how your server is configured, and we can't know that if you do not tell us. Your server does not need to know anything about the ISP really. The modem/router should look after all of that.There could be a problem with DNS, depending on how DNS was set up originally. If the new router has a different private IP from the previous one, you will need to reconfigure you private network to use the same IP subnet as the router.Bill
October 17th, 2009 3:43am

Typically DSL and Cable modems/routers have DHCP built-in. Therefore, the easiest configuration is to plug a switch into the ISP device and plug all of your computers into the switch. If you arent doing any fancy stuff with DHCP, it would be preferrable to just allow your modem to do that work. Thgn just log into the modem, figure out which subnet is assigned to the NIC that will connect to your network. Assign a static IP to your server in that subnet, and allow your workstations to begin requesting DHCP addresses.If you prefer to have your server running DHCP, that will work as well, but again it is important to know which subnet you are on. You'll need to assign a static IP for the DHCP server and create a scope for your clients. Your default gateway is the modem's NIC (port connected to your network).By the way, there must be a way for you to log into the modem via a web browser. Of course, before all of this troubleshooting and configuration, make sure that the cable modem shows you that you are connected to the internet. Visit my blog: http://www.anITKB.com
October 17th, 2009 4:41am

Yes Jorge is right typical DSL modemslike Linksys, Speed touch all have built in DHCP Functionality.one way to check the subnet will be just plug in the cable to the NIC from you dsl router and wait untill it gets the ip address as soon as it connected then right click the Local area conection properties and check the default gateway. This way you will be able to logon through web browsers using the Default Gteway.Note As you said in the earlier post that you have changed the dsl connectiion from AT&T to comcast then you might have to change the forwarders settings in the DNS aswell.Thanks and Hope it Helps http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
October 17th, 2009 2:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics