Configuring Windows 7 as an NTP server
I have 4 computers in a workgroup network, all running Windows 7 Proffessional. I would like to set one of the computers up as a the NTP server for the other clients so that log times match up. I have walked through Group Policy and set the first client to "ntp server enabled". Next I made sure that the windows time service was enabled on the machine I chose to be the server as well as all the clients. I then went to each subsequent machine and ran gpedit to put the correct IP address for the time server and set the NTP client to enabled. When I try to force a time update I get a message saying no time data was available. If I change the clients' NTP server address back to the default windows time server, the clients are able to sync, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the clients, unless they need to be configured differently to use an IP address instead of a Domain name or URL. I have scoured the internet looking for a solution but have not come across anything. I attempted to use NET USE to define a set username to use when connecting to the "server" (FSAC1) the commands i entered are as follows NET USE \\FSAC1\IPC$ password NET USE \\FSAC1\IPC$ \user:username That did not seem to have any effect. The firewall is turned off on all of the machines to remove that as a variable. UAC is on on all 4 machines. the machines are all set for static IP addresses This is, and will remain a workgroup network with no Server. Any help from anyone that has come across this issue would be greatly appreciated. I know its got to be some setting that I am missing, but i can't figure out what. Thanks, Alan
February 25th, 2011 3:29pm

Hi Yshwartzou, According to my test, you may need to add two steps in NTP server end, and so no change is needed in client. 1.Disabled NTP client in Group Policy Run “gpupdate /force” 2.Locate registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags Change the value from 10 to 5 (it means to use local CMOS time clock, KB314054) Run “net stop w32time && net start w32time” Checking on NTP server, You could use command “w32tm /query /configuration” to view if not show “NtpClient <Local>” Checking on NTP client , You could use command “w32tm /resync” and “w32tm /query /source” to show if successful Rick Tan Regards, Rick Tan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2011 1:14am

Hi Yshwartzou, According to my test, you may need to add two steps in NTP server end, and so no change is needed in client. 1.Disabled NTP client in Group Policy Run “gpupdate /force” 2.Locate registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags Change the value from 10 to 5 (it means to use local CMOS time clock, KB314054) Run “net stop w32time && net start w32time” Checking on NTP server, You could use command “w32tm /query /configuration” to view if not show “NtpClient <Local>” Checking on NTP client , You could use command “w32tm /resync” and “w32tm /query /source” to show if successful Regards, Rick Tan
March 2nd, 2011 4:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics