Configuring Server 2008 as a Router
I am the Network Administrator in a Non-Profit organization. I recently aquired several Dell Servers and a complete copy of Windows Server 2008. I have been told that Server 2008 can be set up as a Router out of the box,with mulitple nics, zones, and firewalls. Yet, I am having some difficulty locating specific information on that configuration. Can you point me in the right direction?Thanks
June 12th, 2008 3:46pm

I am not aware of anything aimed specifically at server 2008. RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Service) has been a standard component in the server OS since Windows 2000. It can handle most routig functions. If you need a fully configurable firewall you need ISA server or for server 2008 the upcoming Forefront "Stirling" TMG.The basic thing to take into account when using a server as a router is that it really operates best as a dedicated router. Trying to run other services can be a problem because the server is multihomed and you get problems with name resolution. For that reason it is difficult to justify using a server rather than a hardware router.The basic setup of RRAS is pretty straight forward using a wizard. Most of the normal functions are covered (LAN router, NAT router etc). I use servers as routers a fair bit because I use virtual machines and virtual networks a lot, and that rules out using hardware routers!Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2008 10:24pm

try this http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/how-configure-windows-2008-server-ip-routing.html
January 7th, 2012 8:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics