Configuring SQL 2012 to use a wildcard SSL cert

I'm attempting to configure SQL Server 2012 to use a wildcard SSL certificate. It's not appearing in the Certificate tab when I go to the SQL Server Config. Manager, Protocol properties. I've searched for this issue and the general suggestion is to grab the hash of the SSL cert and edit the registry and paste the hash value in the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\NameOfServerInstance\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Certificate". So I've done that, making sure to remove the spaces from the hash value. I can start up SQL Server and it seems happy enough to load the certificate. However, when I attempt to connect it fails with:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The target principal name is incorrect.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2146893022). 

This machine is not part of a domain, but I've made sure the Primary DNS Suffix of this machine matches my domain name. So the cert is issued to "*.mydomainname.com" and the Primary DNS Suffix is set to "mydomainname.com". My server name is WIN-TH7. 

Everything else about the cert. matches the criteria in the various KB articles. It just doesn't seem like the wildcard is being respected. The other articles I've found reference SQL 2008, so I'm guessing something about this changed between versions. 

Does this even work? If so, what do I need to change to get SQL to use this cert?

Thanks,

August 22nd, 2015 12:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics