Configuring DNS to send FQDN to Local IP

Hi,

I have a bit of an odd question, but assume it is possible.

We have a web server which is accessed via a DDNS name (ie. remote.webserver.com)

From outside of our Network, the ddns works perfectly and resolves to the right IP and the Firewall then forwards the incoming traffic to the webserver.

Problem is, that we have users that are not always on the road, but sometimes in the office using the local LAN and internet. When they then try and access remote.webserver.com, it still resolves to the correct IP, but the firewall blocks it for some reason and then forces an HTTPS connection. (This firewall very advanced, and according to the experts I have to modify my internal DNS settings).

They Recon, that internally, I have to setup a route, that whenever from inside our LAN someone tries to access remote.webserver.com, he should be redirected to the local IP for that webserver.

My question to you is, how do I set this up. My DNS configuration skills are somewhat limited.

Thanks in advance.

Wynand.

July 3rd, 2013 8:28am

Hello,

if i understand you correct the web server is inside your LAN, so create an A record named "www" without the quotes and point it to the ip address from the web server.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 3rd, 2013 9:03am

Yes, the web server is inside our LAN. 

With your suggestion above, wouldnt that mean that all www.* traffic will be routed to the internal IP? 

I only need remote.webserver.com to be pointed to the local IP.

I am also not exactly sure how to create an A record.

July 3rd, 2013 9:23am

Yes, the web server is inside our LAN. 

With your suggestion above, wouldnt that mean that all www.* traffic will be routed to the internal IP? 

I only need remote.webserver.com to be pointed to the local IP.

I am also not exactly sure how to create an A record.

Hi Wynand,

the only thing you have to do is: Go to DNS mmc (Administrative Tools / DNS) and inside the zone, add an A record (second button / Create new A Record).

The description of this record will be: remote.webserver.com and the internal IP

Since this moment, all your internal users will Access the internal IP corresponding to this record that you have created.

I hope this works

Marc

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 3rd, 2013 9:38am

This question was solved?

Thanks.

July 4th, 2013 6:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics