Configure Windows Server Essentials wizard fails with error 7000: WseMgmtSvc failed to start - Login Failure

I am trying to complete the WSE 2012 R2 post configuration wizard .  

1. It fails every time with Error 7000 

The Windows Server Essentials Management Service service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

2. When I check the service, WseMgmtSvc, I find it Stopped with Log on as: <domain>\ServerAdmin$ and a hidden password.

3. I change Log on as to "Local system account" and start the service.  It starts with no problem, and runs until I try wizard again.

4. I am back at #1, repeating steps 2 and 3 over and over. Running the wizard always results in failure and Log on as resetting to <domain>\ServerAdmin$.   Checking the Registry (RegEdit) I find settings per above, data for Log on as changing as I cycle through the above steps.

I found suggested solutions online:

Unable to start Windows Server Essentials Management Service (WseMgmtSvc) (PwerShell: wbadmin delete catalog) and

KB 2914651The Post-Deployment Configuration task may fail . . .  (editing Domain Group Policy: Logon as a service)

but neither worked.

A resolution to this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Additional information: This new server was migrated from an existing Windows Small Business Server 2003.  The new server was added as a DC, then FSMO roles transferred to make it the PDC.  Shortly after that, before the old server could be demoted from DC, it crashed.  Now, as I have not yet forced the demotion of the crashed old server, the new server sees it as a disconnected DC.

• Edited by ASchwartz5152 3 hours 29 minutes ago supply additional information
August 23rd, 2015 6:32am

Just what is the Port Configuration Wizard?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 4:24pm

Sorry, that should have been Post Configuration Wizard (runs after the server Configuration Wizard).
August 23rd, 2015 11:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics