Configure SharePoint 2013 Search service

Hi All,

Am building a whole new sharePoint environment and i could configure all the needed services except search, see image.

during the configuration wizard for the App3 & App4 i've changed the location of search index location to another drive "D:\ drive", then i've configured some high available services on APP1 & App2 like state service, MMD & Work Flow Manager.

all working fine so far.

now i need to configure the two other servers App3 & App4 for only search service and not to include APP1 or APP2 on search service as they are holding the Central and other services, i've followed a document from Microsoft "Test Lab Guide: Configure a Highly Available SharePoint Server 2013 Search Topology" but i think i did something wrong with the setup, could you please help with this configuration, also with indexing partition configuration as the setup should be high available setup for search services, that mean if i totally lost APP3 server search service should not be affected including indexed items.

also in some scenarios i've found that the query component is configured on the WFE server.? which better

SharePoint Design

Thanks

September 9th, 2015 10:32am

You need to replicate the search index partition between app3 and app4. Also duplicate other 4 components crawl/admin/analytics/content processing between the app3 and app4. The key thing is to keep index partition# same. Move query processing component on wfe1 and add another query processing component to wfe2.

This way if you lose app3/app4, search remains available.

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 2:08pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot, but how i can replicate the index partition if i originally installed share point search folder "during installation" on local D:\ drive of APP3 & APP4.

also mentioned above, i don't need to involve App1 in the search service, but when you need to configure search you should add search application service, and when you do in the central admin it will start the search service automatically on APP1.

September 10th, 2015 2:03am

1 - Can you pls advise how you created search folder "during installation" on local D:\ drive of APP3 & APP4? I took a glance at lab guide but no steps there or missed it.

2 - You don't create another search application service on any server in farm to make it highly available. You only duplicate the 6 search components present in the search topology and distribute them to make it high available. So if one server goes down, another server will have same component and it will keep functioning.

Hope this helps.

September 10th, 2015 2:27am

Hi,

first question explained in the below image, i've changed the location do d:\ drive to separate the index files from the installation, and i did this on App3 & App4.

2nd i know i have to create only one search service application through the central administration which is on APP1, but when i do it will start "SharePoint Server Search" service as the 2nd image on App1, is that OK. and does effects any of the search setup on other servers?

Installation location 

Service

Thanks alot

September 10th, 2015 2:57am

1 - You can change the index location of search to another directory. Here's a quick blog article on how to do the same: http://consulting.risualblogs.com/blog/2013/09/03/sharepoint-2013move-the-search-index-location/

Anyways, the key thing is to keep the index partition# same, not the directory. It can be on another directory on different server. If you open the search index component in search topology, the indexpartitionordinal specifies the index partition number and  RootDirectory specifies the directory for storing index partition:

2. This is quite normal. On each server running one of the search components, this service needs to be run.

Hope this

September 10th, 2015 4:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics