Computer will not fully boot until second PC is rebooted
I have the oddest issue and I think it is possibly DNS related but for the life of me cannot confirm. I manage a number of AD DS installations and this problem is one that I have never seen before. The behavior is as follows: Network setup: Office running Server 2008 R2 and all PC's are 7 SP1. Server 2008 R2 System is AD DS and integrated DNS obviously. One user complains of the following scenario: Her PC will stop responding and force her to reboot. Alternatively, she wil sometimes have the problem from cold start. Upon reboot/startup her PC hags on a black screen just before the log on/welcome screen. It will stay on this screen until a second user reboots his laptop and then her machine will proceed to the log on screen immediately. I suspected some weird Computer Browser service issue or incorrect DHCP settings but nothing seems to be incorrect - problem persists even if computer browse service disabled. The issue also seems to occur somewhat randomly as when the laptop user is out of the office, the problem does not happen. I should point out as well that the laptop user had is PC recently formatted and the problem still persisted after the format. It seems that these PC's are linked in some way to each other even though it should not be the case in a domain based system. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Ken MCITP:SA, EA
August 4th, 2011 10:58am

Hi, Hope you have checked Network card and task manger for not responded services of the laptop if card is working fine then use wireshark tool to analize your laptop network communication. It might help you to find out any network related issue. You can find out this tool from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html Regards PraveenPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 4th, 2011 12:34pm

I'll do a wireshark scan. The services are all fine - drivers up to date etc. Extremely bizarre as it doesn't seem to occur at regular intervals either. The laptop could be in the office for a day or two and everything is fine or in the office for an hour and the problem occurs. Unfortunately I have to rely on unsophisticated users for much of my info as it never happens when I am at their site.
August 4th, 2011 7:48pm

Hi, Just try to do one thing remove the laptop from domain work locally but use your network and post the result. Regards Praveen Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 5th, 2011 7:51am

Hi, Try to renew the IP of the laptop when issue happens and see the result. Also, whether one or both of the computers are using a static IP address? Check the IPCONFIG /all of both computers to see if there is anything incorrect.TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
August 8th, 2011 5:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics