Computer names change automatically
OK, I have something really weird going on. I have a user, that is part of the Domain Admins group (We're a Win2K3 Domain). Every computer he logs on to, gets it's name changed automatically. The new computer name always seems to turn into HIS laptop's hostname. Example: His laptop hostname is say LAPTOP1, he goes to log onto a Desktop named Desktop1, once he logs in, the Desktop1 system gets it's name automatically changed to LAPTOP1. I do have GPOs in place; however, nothing that changes a hostname, I've searched my login script and nothing changes any hostnames in there. His AD Account is not assigned to any special login scripts. I found another post with the exact issue (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/869377bb-b35c-4202-9561-9c81b46aec01); however, it only discusses how to get the computer name back to it's orginal state. I need to stop it from happening to begin with. We are on a Windows Server 2003 Functional Level Domain. His system is Windows 7 Ult. Does anyone have any insights on what might be causing this?
February 21st, 2012 9:04am

Dear Mike, Do you have roaming profiles enabled? If you do, it is possible that the user has some kind of script or program being triggered by his profile (instead of a GPO), for example in the startup menu, or some registry setting. I would suggest disabling the roaming profile for this user, and having him log into a new system (one he has never logger on before) or a clean (one that has been properly named and where his profile as been completely eliminated). If the computer name does not change it would suggest that the problem is in the profile, and you can start dissecting it until you find the culprit. If the computer name DOES change, then the problem must be either in the domain policies or in the systems itself (likely if the systems had been cloned) ----------------- Best Regards, Marianok Disclaimer: While I do my best to make sure everything I post is accurate and safe, Im certainly not perfect so all this information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Any suggested steps or code provided should be done under your own risk, I take no responsibilities if your system blows, the universe stops spinning, o nor for any other adverse consequence the information on this code might cause directly or indirectly.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 21st, 2012 9:22am

I only have roaming profiles on one server, and that's for Terminal Services. In regards to imaging, they did just start using Windows Imaging to image systems (and for some reason, I cannot convince them to sysprep). I'm not sure if his system was used in any part that at all; however, I do know that the sytems that get their names changed are both - some were imaged and others have been in place for years.
February 21st, 2012 10:00am

Hello, if you don't be able to convince them maybe the Microsoft support policy is doing this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314828 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828287 Be aware that for cloned machines without sysprep too many problems may occur and what you see may belong to this.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
February 21st, 2012 10:18am

Hello, if you don't be able to convince them maybe the Microsoft support policy is doing this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314828 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828287 Be aware that for cloned machines without sysprep too many problems may occur and what you see may belong to this. Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Couldn't agree more. They'll learn once we get rolling out Office 2010 with KMS licensing. However, right now my main focus is getting this one issue resolved. Any idea on how to tell if 'cloning' is the issue?
February 21st, 2012 10:23am

However, right now my main focus is getting this one issue resolved. Any idea on how to tell if 'cloning' is the issue? Well, the easier way would be for you to grab a machine, install a fresh copy of window, join it to domain, put it in the same OU as the others, etc, etc and have the user log in to it. How ever, from your previous statement, this is happening on systems that have not been imaged, so i would doubt this to be the case.----------------- Best Regards, Marianok Disclaimer: While I do my best to make sure everything I post is accurate and safe, Im certainly not perfect so all this information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Any suggested steps or code provided should be done under your own risk, I take no responsibilities if your system blows, the universe stops spinning, o nor for any other adverse consequence the information on this code might cause directly or indirectly.
February 21st, 2012 10:31am

Does any other Domain admin have this problem ? Additioanlly, you might want to exclude the posibility of GPOs having something to do with this by testing with a workstation in an OU w/o GPOs and also moving the user to an OU w/o GPOs.----------------- Best Regards, Marianok Disclaimer: While I do my best to make sure everything I post is accurate and safe, Im certainly not perfect so all this information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Any suggested steps or code provided should be done under your own risk, I take no responsibilities if your system blows, the universe stops spinning, o nor for any other adverse consequence the information on this code might cause directly or indirectly.
February 21st, 2012 10:32am

Does any other Domain admin have this problem ? Nope, just him (Thankfully)
February 21st, 2012 11:35am

Hi, Based on my understanding, as the issue only happen to one of your domain admins, so this issue is most likely related with the users profile. Have you test with a new installed computer according to what Marianok suggested. To work around this issue, I would like suggest you, create another new account for the user. Best Regards, Yan Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Yan Li TechNet Community Support
February 21st, 2012 9:19pm

I had originally believed this to be related to the way my co-horts have been imaging the new Win7Pro machines. However, I had found out that they had not built the image based off this one person's laptop. Now, this has JUST happened to another system. This particular system is a Windows Server 2008 R2 system that I built myself and is not based off of an image. While I was out getting myself a Starbucks there was a UPS hiccup that caused the server to reboot. This one particular user logged onto the server via RDP to verify all was good; however, he couldn't as he received an error - " The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed". The reason it failed was due to the computername changing on it's own to that of his laptop. So, the server took on the name of his laptop BEFORE he was even able to log on to the system (he actually couldn't even get logged onto the system). I did rename the server back to it's original name and rejoined it back to the domain, so all is good again. However, I can't have this happen again - especially if it's going to happen to servers too. Looking at the Event Logs - I have an event at 9:00:27AM showing the correct computername; however, the one just previous to it at 9:00:26AM shows the name it changed itself to (ID 1531 Source User Profile Service (hmmmm) just stating it started successfully).
May 25th, 2012 11:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics