Computer management sessions
Hello, OS: Windows Server 2003 R2 I noticed that when you open 'Computer Management' and view the 'Sessions' that the computer field has only IP-adresses. When I go to 'Services and Applications' and go back to 'Sessions' all IP-adresses are now full dns hostnames? Can somebody explain why this interaction must take place before the computer field displayes full dns hostnames? Kind regards.
December 20th, 2011 4:04am

What operating system do you mean? My guess is that by inquiring Services and Application, computers should be enumerated wuth their FQDN and the results is rendered in Computer Management. Regard Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 20th, 2011 4:43am

changed topic, OS is Windows Server 2003 R2
December 20th, 2011 4:46am

Hi, Computer Management will try to resolve the client IP address to user-friendly NetBIOS name. In and IPv6 and IPv4 hybrid environment, and clients use \\NetBIOS (file://netbios/) to access share folders, if the NetBIOS name cannot be resolved, it shows the IPv6 address immediately. However, if clients are using \\IPv4 (file://ipv4/) to access share folder, the failure of resolving to the NetBIOS name causes the Computer Management console to hang. To troubleshoot this issue, please refer to the following troubleshooting suggestions: Suggestion 1: Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP: =================== 1. Run ncpa.cpl 2. Right click the NIC 3. select properties 4. click TCPIPV4 5. click advanced 6. click WINS 7. choose Disable Netbios over TCPIP Suggestion 2: Configure reverse lookup zone in DNS server. It is useful to computers which are added in domain. For more information, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article: On Windows Server 2008, you may have to wait for a long time to populate the information on shared folder sessions in Computer Management console http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454039 Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
December 20th, 2011 9:47pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
December 27th, 2011 2:08am

I think that Milos Putchta has a point Computer Management console does not hang, it only resolves fqdn after inquiring Services and Application. Kind regards.
December 27th, 2011 2:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics