Computer logon
Hi. I'm just starting to learn server basics so apologies for the simple question. Spec is Server 2008 R2 x1 vista Ultimate workstation and x1 XP Pro Workstion I recently added new users and computers to AD and that went fine - even managed folder redirection and roaming app - however I have noticed that the computers I added still show an option at logon to the computers' account that exisited before I added them to the domain. The XP machine shows a drop down option for either the domain or the machine, the vista shows the option for the original account (this disapears from view as you logon with other accounts but is still available) Does this normally happen? I'm happy to use GP to prevent this or change the local computer account, but just wanted to check that this logon option normally happens after you add a computer to a domain.
August 3rd, 2010 1:22am

What is happening is perfectly normal. Don't worry.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2010 1:28am

Yep, unless you are using a domain controller (which mainly keeps a local admin account for directory-services restore mode), there are still local user accounts to the system that might be useful from time to time. If you created any accounts before joining to the domain, these accounts can still log in unless you disable them or delete them. -- Mike Burr
August 3rd, 2010 1:29am

This link deal with the use of restricted groups: http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Using-Restricted-Groups.html It should help you.
August 3rd, 2010 1:36am

Hello, on any not DC machine you have the option to logon to the local machine instead of using the domain accounts, if a local accounts is configured or the local admin password is known.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 3rd, 2010 2:26am

Thanks everyone for the help. I somewhat confused by a colleague who suggested it was due to not installing Active Directory properly. At least I know I'm heading in the right direction and it isn't a symptom of a problem I just didn't realise. I can see that those accounts could\would be useful in future provided they were secured, so I'll follow up those options with the advice and suggestions given. Again thanks everyone for the answers and links provided.
August 3rd, 2010 12:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics