Computer Name pings to old IP
Hello, We have Windows XP client PCs and Window Server 2003 Servers. There is this problem I am facing. Before joining a computer A to the domain I can ping to Computer B (which i changed from old ip to new ip). After I join to the domain, i can no longer ping to the computer B, it tries to ping to the old IP instead. We have a WINS setting and DNS settings configured on these PCs. After joining the domain, I changed the DNS ip provided to me by the System administrator and used an IP of a server which i found using WireShark. When I did that and pinged computer B , the computer A was able to ping to it successfully when it was on the domain. Before I speak to the system administrator about this issue, i wanted to asked what exactly is causing this problem. We are in a network of 200+ PCs. This happens to all pcs. If i ping from any PC to any PC which have there IPs changed face this problem. It resolves to the old IP. Thanks in advance.
February 23rd, 2011 9:25am

There is obviously a problem with wins or dns. Have you tried to ping with full FQDN? If pinging to FQDN fails then you have a problem with (at least) dns, if not then it is wins.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2011 9:34am

I havent tried to ping with full FQDN. I am not at my office. I can provide you with more details. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns and /registerdns on the client PCs. Even after that it still doesnt ping. I tried this with two computers that were already on the domain. Computer C and Computer D are on the domain. We relocated Computer C to another floor and changed its IP. We rejoined the PC to the domain, did /flushdns. It has been a week now and still i cannot ping to computer C from computer D. I Tried to ping from Computer E to Computer C also and still it failed. Always tried to ping to the old IP. So i came up with an idea to try removing Computer D from the domain and add it to a workgroup. I tried that and it it resolved correctly Computer C to its new IP. I tried the same for computer E, removed from domain, added to workgroup and it worked. I tried it also with a freshly XP installed PC. When it was on the workgroup i could ping to Cmputer C, once i added it to the workgroup it stopped ping and tried to resolve to Computer C's old IP. It cant be from the client end since it happens to a new PC also. This problems happens even i tried the other way round..i.e. if computer D's IP was changed and i tried to ping from Computer C and E.
February 23rd, 2011 10:31am

When you get back to the office, try pinging FQDN first to make sure we troubleshoot the right place
February 23rd, 2011 2:03pm

Hi can you tell us more about your DNS setup, or post up ipconfigs of the machine when it is able to ping and when it is not able to pingtech-nique
February 23rd, 2011 3:02pm

As IT Mgr to try the following: 1. Clear your computer's cache IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS 2. Tombstone the old client IP WINS records on the WINS server 3. Check for static HOSTS entries on your client PC 4. Reboot any switches and routers between the problem server and clients to clear arp cache Note: This is assuming you are using NetBIOS to resolve, if you are using FQDN, clear the cache on the DNS server and check for static A records...Chazzie / IT Manager Advanced Door Controls, Inc.
February 23rd, 2011 3:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics