Component Store
--See below please--
May 5th, 2008 2:22pm

I reinstalled Windows Server 2008 and attempted to install active directory once again. It went well this time but I can't install any more roles. It just says "The component store is corrupted". What does this mean? I can't find anything about a "component store" anywhere.In addition I would like to point out that I have reinstalled Windows Server 2008 a number of times only to be met with the same fate after installing Active Directory Services and rebooting the server.Not sure if it is related but I have the following events in my event log:Log Name: ApplicationSource: ESENTDate: 05/05/2008 13:18:30Event ID: 465Task Category: Logging/RecoveryLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: SERVERDescription:wuaueng.dll (920) SUS20ClientDataStore: Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position 127:93. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 127. This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.-----------Log Name: ApplicationSource: ESENTDate: 05/05/2008 13:18:30Event ID: 477Task Category: Logging/RecoveryLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: SERVERDescription:wuaueng.dll (920) SUS20ClientDataStore: The log range read from the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" at offset 65024 (0x000000000000fe00) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch. The expected checksum was 2088498445 (0x7c7bf50d) and the actual checksum was 2021389581 (0x787bf50d). The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b). If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.------------Log Name: ApplicationSource: ESENTDate: 05/05/2008 14:31:07Event ID: 399Task Category: Database Page CacheLevel: WarningKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: SERVERDescription:services (532) The database page read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\Security\Database\secedit.sdb" at offset 331776 (0x0000000000051000) (database page 80 (0x50)) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification. Bit 32594 was corrupted and has been corrected. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware and may continue. Transient failures such as these can be a precursor to a catastrophic failure in the storage subsystem containing this file. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2008 4:48pm

Can anyone help me please? I am totally lost.
May 5th, 2008 6:37pm

Hello, The "component store" is used to store all the binaries for installing roles, features and so on, and is installed on your computer when you install Windows Server 2008. The first two error messages indicate that the log files of the Windows Update are corrupted. The last warning message "Event ID: 399" gives some clues why these error messages occurred. This Warning event indicates that a database page had a single-bit error that was corrected automatically. The particular database page was corrupt but has been repaired. If this event is occurring frequently, then action should be taken to prevent a system failure. Occurrence of event 399 indicates damage at the page level of the database. Damage at the page level is caused by driver, firmware, or hardware issues 99 percent of the time. To resolve this warning, do one or more of the following: 1. Try "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" commands and see if they can help 2. Run system diagnostic tests. These tests may not be conclusive if the problem is infrequent and transient or only appears under very complex loads. 3. Consider migrating to different hardware. 4. Upgrade disk controller BIOS and firmware to the latest vendor revisions. Hope this helps. Best regards, Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2008 2:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics