Complete server 2008 environment configuration questions
I want to upgradeour networkinfrastructureto 2008 based products with the objective of having good security, accountablity, and functionality. We have a small user base, with only about 25 machines connected to the network. I have been trying to set up a demo environment, but there are so many microsoft server products, that I find it a little overwhelming.Here are the objectives:Active Directory ServerSQL ServerWeb Server (Host our business web site)Exchange Server (primarily for hosting our e-mail)Sharepoint server (for intranet usage only)Data Protection ManagerI would like to use a server as a gateway for my LAN and include Forefront as well. I am hoping to be able to monitor/track things like bandwidth and website usage by my users so I can see who is consuming bandwidth with things like surfing the web, downloading or streaming files, torrents, etc. I would also like to be able to see who is working at work versus just surfing.I am currently planning on setting up 1 machine as our internal server using Server 2008 enterprise, and use hyper-v to create a virtual machine for our SQL server, with another virtual machine to host our LAN based applications (sharepoint, anti-virus server, network chat, etc). One of these virtual machines will most likely be our AD server as well.What is the recommendation for setting up the gateway and internet facing servers, such as the IIS server and exchange. Is it worth the effor of separating the exchange server out into an internal side and an external side? I have one new machine that features a Core 2 Quad and 8GB of RAM. Would it be possible to cram everything into this machine, or should I set up a second machine for the gateway and internet facing servers? I've currently got 3 network connections in it, so I can set up a dedicated vlan for our office LAN, and one for our internet connection.Where would be the best place to stick Data Protection Manager? What other considerations am I missing?I know there are a lot of questions here, but I have had a very difficult time finding clear information regarding they physical layout of setting all this stuff up, particularly relating to dealing with the Public/Private facing aspects of our services. Most of the MS documentation seems geared towards gigantic server forms for massive networks. Any suggestions are appreciated!
October 7th, 2008 10:37pm

Hi, Since you would like to install all the products on one physical machine and it is a relatively small environment, you may consider to use Windows Small Business Server 2008 or Windows Essential Business Server. They are specially designed for small size or midsize businesses with takes the guesswork out of selecting software for your network. It brings together the Microsoft product technologies that businesses need most into a single solution. These technologies are integrated into one product, which dramatically reduces IT complexity and improves efficiency across the business, putting IT in control. Compare to installing all the products separately, I think that the integrated solutions would be more suitable to your environment. For more information about the products, visit the following websites: Windows Small Business Server http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/overview.aspx Windows Essential Business Server http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/ServerSolutions/businessserver.mspx Hope the information is helpful.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 9th, 2008 12:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics