Compatibility problem when installing Remote desktop services role on 2012 "Unable to connect to the server by using Windows Powershell Remoting"

Trying to install RDS on 2012 I get the following error.

"Unable to connect to the server by using Windows Powershell Remoting" On the "Checking Compatibility" window. I'm just trying to install the "Quick Start: option

I did the "Enable-PSRemoting -force" on the server and still have the error.

enabled "allow remote server management through WinRM" in group policy also, still same problem.

Thanks ahead of time.

October 15th, 2012 4:26pm

Hi,

I would like to know how did you install the role, by Windows Powershell remoting or use Server manager to manage remote Server?

After enable both server's psremoting, please restart them and try again.

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2012 7:15am

Used the server manager
October 23rd, 2012 1:18pm

I am having the exact same issue.  Any fixes?
October 25th, 2012 9:24pm

Same issue here, installed via server manager. I can run enter-pssession servername and it works with no issues in a PS prompt.
  • Proposed as answer by Kristof L Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Kristof L Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:20 PM
November 7th, 2012 10:51pm

Same issue here, installed via server manager. I can run enter-pssession servername and it works with no issues in a PS prompt.

Hey there, did you ever get an answer to this?

I am having the same issue.

psremoting IS already enabled on this server.

I am using server manager to install roles.

Add Roles and Features Wizard > Remote Desktop Services Installation > Quick Start > Session-based desktop deployment, Select my server > click next > "Unable to connect to the server by using windows powershell remoting"

November 22nd, 2012 4:05am

After working for weeks with M$ Support level 2 and higher on this issue below is the fix and reason for the issue.

In a PS Shell

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 1000

then reboot

The default remote shell is allotted 150MB of memory. If we have Sharepoint/IIS App pool on the server then this memory is not sufficient to create a remote session (This is used mostly while installing any roles on windows server 2012) . Therefore by running that command we have enabled the remote shell to use 1000mb which will  provide more memory  to windows powershell to make remote sessions and resolve the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Firestormo Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:50 PM
November 28th, 2012 10:49pm

After working for weeks with M$ Support level 2 and higher on this issue below is the fix and reason for the issue.

In a PS Shell

then reboot

The default remote shell is allotted 150MB of memory. If we have Sharepoint/IIS App pool on the server then this memory is not sufficient to create a remote session (This is used mostly while installing any roles on windows server 2012) . Therefore by running that command we have enabled the remote shell to use 1000mb which will  provide more memory  to windows powershell to make remote sessions and resolve the issue.

In a PS Shell

then reboot

Check windows firewall.  I had the same issue until I disabled it.
January 19th, 2013 8:06pm

I added the 'Windows Remote Management' rule to my firewall and that fixed the problem.

• Proposed as answer by localhost81 Friday, April 04, 2014 7:37 PM
February 15th, 2013 12:22am

I added the 'Windows Remote Management' rule to my firewall and that fixed the problem.

Hello,

Although I disabled the FW, allowed WinRM and Remote Powershell, I used two different NT accounts: one from a trusted forest and a 3nd one from the same forest as the server, gpupdate the policy to allow Remote Management, Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB I was trying to configure with RDS I still got the:

"Unable to connect to the server by using Windows Powershell Remoting" On the "Checking Compatibility"

In my case the solution was to "Shift" click on "Server Manager" and select "Run as administrator" .

It is a little bit silly that for "Server Manager" the elevation is not proposed even.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Tiberiu Baraboi

• Proposed as answer by Pootie-Tang Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:36 PM
February 22nd, 2013 3:48pm

Hello,

Although I disabled the FW, allowed WinRM and Remote Powershell, I used two different NT accounts: one from a trusted forest and a 3nd one from the same forest as the server, gpupdate the policy to allow Remote Management, Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB I was trying to configure with RDS I still got the:

"Unable to connect to the server by using Windows Powershell Remoting" On the "Checking Compatibility"

In my case the solution was to "Shift" click on "Server Manager" and select "Run as administrator" .

It is a little bit silly that for "Server Manager" the elevation is not proposed even.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Tiberiu Baraboi

Hello,

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Tiberiu Baraboi

Still not working for me

tried services and PS enable and PS expand Shell size....nothing

here's my other issue - I'm following the MS MOC - trainer guide for MCSE Desktop Infrastructure

Testing it out so I can teach this component - lol - hard to teach if it don't work

any ideas??

March 16th, 2013 5:08pm

had same issue fixed it by
clearing the proxy

netsh winhttp reset proxy

worked for me

• Proposed as answer by rkettles Friday, April 19, 2013 4:41 AM
March 25th, 2013 4:19am

clearing the proxy

worked for me

clearing the proxy

worked for me

None of this worked for me :(

I'm Trying in W Azure Scenario with 1subnet.

http://s7.postimg.org/e45xr7t07/w2012rds_fail.jpg

• Edited by Gabriel RG Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:54 PM img
May 15th, 2013 12:48pm

I had the same issue, none of the above worked for me.

I decided to see what my FQDN was resolving to and it was using the IPV6 address FE80 etc, I disabled IPV6 and retried and it worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by Stephan Swart Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:15 AM
June 18th, 2013 12:16am

I decided to see what my FQDN was resolving to and it was using the IPV6 address FE80 etc, I disabled IPV6 and retried and it worked for me.

Reference following article, 

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/feature/How-to-enable-PowerShell-remoting

I just solved

June 18th, 2013 3:48am

This worked for. Had to turn off IPv6.
June 27th, 2013 11:57pm

In case you're using a Hyper-V based scenario: for me it helped to disable "Integration Services > Time Synchronization" within the Hyper-V settings for the virtual machine I tried to deploy remote desktop services on.

The problem was that the virtual machine was somehow out of sync with the domain controller and thus was not trusted to use remote management/powershell ...

July 22nd, 2013 6:28pm

Here's what I've found. Adding RDS with the "Quick Start" option, followed at some point later removing RDS, seemed to give me the "Unable to connect to the server by using Windows Powershell Remoting".

I did the powershell fix. "Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 1000", reboot and retry didn't do it for me.

Also the Server Manager SHIFT runas Administrator (not sure how it's even possible NOT to run as Administrator really?) didn't do it for me.

I had my firewall turned off, so no issues there. I did reset it and turn it off again. Still nothing.

Re-adding back IIS along with RPC for HTTP Proxy, rebooted. Was able to add the RDS and Quick Start role again.

Not 100% sure how that's the case. But I removed them. Got the same error. Readded them (rebooting between add and removal) it worked again.

Hope this saves someone some frustration.

August 14th, 2013 8:24pm

Here's what I've found. Adding RDS with the "Quick Start" option, followed at some point later removing RDS, seemed to give me the "Unable to connect to the server by using Windows Powershell Remoting".

I did the powershell fix. "Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 1000", reboot and retry didn't do it for me.

Also the Server Manager SHIFT runas Administrator (not sure how it's even possible NOT to run as Administrator really?) didn't do it for me.

I had my firewall turned off, so no issues there. I did reset it and turn it off again. Still nothing.

Re-adding back IIS along with RPC for HTTP Proxy, rebooted. Was able to add the RDS and Quick Start role again.

Not 100% sure how that's the case. But I removed them. Got the same error. Readded them (rebooting between add and removal) it worked again.

I tried all the above but did not succeed. But after I had changed my network from public to domain network it worked.

How I did this?

I have a separate domain controller server in my network and also a NAT/Firewall. This NAT/Firewall is setup as DHCP server so I have set my DNS towards this server. 10.0.0.1 As a secondary server I have set my Domain controller's IP 10.0.0.10 and now the network changed to Domain-Network and I am able to install RDP services.

Hope this helps you guys.

The link from Anonymous2992 helped me to this solution. Thanks!

October 31st, 2013 10:02pm

I tried all the above but did not succeed. But after I had changed my network from public to domain network it worked.

How I did this?

I have a separate domain controller server in my network and also a NAT/Firewall. This NAT/Firewall is setup as DHCP server so I have set my DNS towards this server. 10.0.0.1 As a secondary server I have set my Domain controller's IP 10.0.0.10 and now the network changed to Domain-Network and I am able to install RDP services.

How I did this?

Hi Guys,

This silly error wasted my 1 precious day

In my case i restarted the DC and RDS server to resolve this issue.

Hope this may help someone.

Goodluck !!

December 20th, 2013 11:13am

Is this a bug in 2012? I've ried all of the above and still the issue remains.
December 21st, 2013 10:21pm

Same here.
December 27th, 2013 9:32pm

After trying all the hard stuff, resetting the proxy with netsh winhttp reset proxy was what finally fixed the problem. Thanks, RKettles!
January 14th, 2014 10:19pm

clearing the proxy

worked for me

x2, it would have been helpful if MS put a reference to this possibility in the list
January 16th, 2014 8:36pm

Hi Tibi,

Ur solution worked in my case...

January 17th, 2014 6:43pm

I tried everything listed above - none worked.

Using server 2012 with exchange 2010 so something has gone awry with permissions. Domain admin can't seem to do anything so added another admin account (with local admin rights) then running the RDS Deployment from an elevated Server Manager session did the trick for me.

Hope this helps someone!
March 3rd, 2014 10:10pm

Have tried all the above and none have worked for me on Windows 2012 R2 RDS.

On Windows 2012 RDS servers it works fine without any problem

• Edited by 1rf4N Thursday, March 06, 2014 3:51 PM
March 6th, 2014 2:59pm

Same here - have tried everything mentioned above. Still getting the same error. Anything else to check?
March 12th, 2014 3:31pm

@joshhoff

Have you managed to resolve the issue yet?

March 18th, 2014 4:27pm

I was able to resolve the issue on Windows 2012 R2 - by clicking server manager.. local server and enabling "remote management"
  • Proposed as answer by Tami Jones Thursday, May 01, 2014 6:24 PM
May 1st, 2014 6:23pm

I was able to resolve the issue on Windows 2012 R2 - by clicking server manager.. local server and enabling "remote management"

All the solutions mentioned before didn't solve our problems. Finnaly we decided to uninstall Powershell completely from our newly installed RDS Server...the site affect of this is that the GUI also will be unistalled. After te uninstall of powershell we rebooted the server. Via our DC's Server Manager we installed Powershell remotely again along with the GUI and this solved our problem. Because the other newly installed servers didn't have this problem I guess that this problem is introduced after installing a feature (my guess is the Desktop Experience Feature, but i'm not sure and will test this later this week).

May 10th, 2014 7:50pm

I have tried all the above and it's still not working.
May 12th, 2014 3:49pm

Removing SPN HTTP/myserver.mydomain.org from service account for sharepoint solved my problem.

• Edited by zvdf Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:44 AM
May 15th, 2014 10:42am

Removing SPN HTTP/myserver.mydomain.org from service account for sharepoint solved my problem.

• Proposed as answer by Vitiris Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:28 PM

• Proposed as answer by Vitiris Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:28 PM

i found another possible reason, this solution worked for me:

http://oyvindnilsen.com/solution-for-powershell-remoting-error-it-cannot-determine-the-content-type-of-the-http-response-from-the-destination-computer/

I tried to set up powershell remoting on a server and kept getting this error:

Enter-PSSession : Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client cann
ot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination comput
er. The content type is absent or invalid. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help to
pic.

After a bit of troubleshooting I discovered that the problem was that the authentication packets was to big (over 16k), this will cause WinRM to reject the request. The reason for authentication packets getting too big can be because the user is member of very many security groups or in my case because of the SidHistory attribute.

The solution was to increase the MaxFieldLength and MaxRequestBytes keys in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HTTP\Parameters

If the keys does not exists you can create them, be sure to use the DWORD type.

I sat MaxFieldLength to DEC value 40000 and MaxRequestBytes to DEC value 32768 and rebooted the server. Problem solved.

• Proposed as answer by amentma Friday, June 27, 2014 6:52 AM
June 27th, 2014 6:50am

http://oyvindnilsen.com/solution-for-powershell-remoting-error-it-cannot-determine-the-content-type-of-the-http-response-from-the-destination-computer/

Enter-PSSession : Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client cann
ot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination comput
er. The content type is absent or invalid. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help to
pic.

After a bit of troubleshooting I discovered that the problem was that the authentication packets was to big (over 16k), this will cause WinRM to reject the request. The reason for authentication packets getting too big can be because the user is member of very many security groups or in my case because of the SidHistory attribute.

The solution was to increase the MaxFieldLength and MaxRequestBytes keys in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HTTP\Parameters

I sat MaxFieldLength to DEC value 40000 and MaxRequestBytes to DEC value 32768 and rebooted the server. Problem solved.

pic.

Solved the issue - DC and RDS server had 3 hour time difference.  Syncing time worked.
July 20th, 2014 2:50pm

This one seems to be all over the place with what's worked for whom, but in my case, "Enable-PSRemoting -force" worked for me. Thanks! I did this on a server running in Azure.
August 28th, 2014 4:03pm

Same problem, but what worked for me was deleting stored credentials for the RDVH via cmdkey.

September 1st, 2014 8:46pm

Thanks rkettles, your solution worked for me !
September 30th, 2014 12:54pm

Same here, tried everything else. Turning IPv6 off finally worked. 

Stupid.

October 6th, 2014 11:41pm

I tried everything above..."Enable-PSRemoting -force", "Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 1000", resetting the proxy, elevating rights, running as a domain admin rather than just local admin, I already had RD Licensing Manager & RD Session Host roles installed, I uninstalled them figuring maybe that was the issue. Still the same error message over and over again no matter what I tried.

Despite the error text I was able to connect fine using Enter-PSSession [servername] from a remote host. What FINALLY fixed it for me, was pulling the server out of it's OU, putting it in the default "Computers" OU so almost no GPOs would apply to it, did a gpupdate /force, rebooted, and I was able to run the install without issue, so there's something wonky with one of my GP settings that breaks the RDS install.

October 7th, 2014 7:47pm

Matthias Heinsius

your solution worked for me!

Thank you!

October 8th, 2014 8:47am

Disabling IPv6 worked for me in an Azure 2012 R2 VM.
October 15th, 2014 3:12pm

I realize this is old, but I'd like to add my solution since I came across this just as frustrated as many others.

Very simply, disabling IPv6 resolved the problem for me as well.
November 4th, 2014 1:38pm

Hello,

I did the Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 1000.

But now i cant logon the server annymore.

Can you help me?

November 19th, 2014 12:03pm

Tami Jones solution worked for me Windows server 2012 Datacenter Edition in Windows Azure:

- by clicking server manager.. local server and enabling "remote management"

November 19th, 2014 9:19pm

Tried everything.

Finally, disable IPv6 work for me.

December 17th, 2014 6:38am

Thanks, this worked for me too!
February 25th, 2015 12:29am

Try this command.

Enable-PSRemoting -force in Powershell

This resolves the issue on my Windows Azure Server

Regards,

Nandha

February 27th, 2015 3:11pm

Worked for me.  However you decided to try this solution, I gotta hand it to you.  Who woulda thought to clear the Internet proxy...??
February 27th, 2015 9:31pm

After I followed all the recommendations here, I had to put the User that I used when installing the role into the group of Domain Admins first. Then things started to deploy...
March 2nd, 2015 8:04pm

I tried running server manager as administrator (nope), disabling Windows firewall (nope), Enable-psremoting -force (was already enabled). None of these items fixed my issue.

Disabling IPV6 via the hotfix found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

^ that resolved my issue. 

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on VMWare 5.1

April 10th, 2015 3:39pm

I was also installing RDP on SharePoint; temporarily removing the SPN's resolved the issue for me.
April 28th, 2015 12:29pm

In our case it was IPv6.  A little digging revealed that we applied a GPO using Computer -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Remove Management -> WinRM Service -> Allow remote server management through WinRM

Because we were not using IPv6 we did not add an IPv6 Filter so it simply blocked everything on that protocol.  It, of course, was working for everything else because we were using IPv4.

May 19th, 2015 9:00pm

Yes. Thanks. Worked for me.
June 3rd, 2015 8:27pm

That particular item fixed it for me. 
June 17th, 2015 6:37pm

I wish there was a way to move this to the top to save others trying the 100 other things first like I did! Worked great thanks
June 18th, 2015 12:37am

Hi, in my case the problem was that our DC is based on Samba 3.

Upgrading to Samba latest version this error does not come up.

June 24th, 2015 3:14pm

Tried all of the above - Enabling remote management under server manager/local server and a reboot and everything works without a problem
  • Edited by Jon0027 Wednesday, July 15, 2015 3:39 PM
July 13th, 2015 6:52pm

My systems engineer found that my issue was caused by a System variable that was set incorrectly. The Path variable had been cleared, which was keeping Powershell Remoting from working correctly. He copied the variables from another server, and it is now working correctly. 
August 25th, 2015 5:20pm

Tried everything else on this page but none worked except this.

Thanks amentma !

September 1st, 2015 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics