Compare-VM not reporting Incompatibilities

I'm trying to migrate a bunch of guest VMs from 2012 servers to 2012R2.  I'm running Compare-VM to get a Compatibility Report.  The issue that I'm having is that no matter what incompatibilities I have, there only exist one incompatibility.  This is message ID 21024 'Virtual machine migration operation for 'guestVM' failed at migration source 'srcServer'.

I can see on the destination server that there are events in the log for the actual incompatibilities, be they processor incompatibility, incorrect network name, etc.

How can I convince Compare-VM to return the actual incompatibilities?

Thanks

-Dave

April 20th, 2015 4:51pm

Are you looking through the compatibility report?

http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2012/08/handling-import-vm-errors-in-server.html

And then repairing the configuration and then importing the repaired configuration?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 20th, 2015 5:10pm

Brian,

Yes.  I was planning on repairing the configuration, then importing it.  But, in order to do that, I need the actual incompatibilities, not the generic 21024 that I'm getting.

Any ideas?

-Dave

April 20th, 2015 8:43pm

The details are there.

Did you read the blog post that I provided the link for?

April 20th, 2015 8:54pm

No.  The details are supposed to be there.  What I actually get is...

PS C:\Windows\system32> compare-vm -Name GuestVM -DestinationHost DestHost -IncludeStorage -DestinationStoragePath \\NASShare\hyper_v

VM                 : Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.VirtualMachine
OperationType      : MoveVirtualMachineAndStorage
Destination        : DestHost
Path               :
SnapshotPath       :
VhdDestinationPath :
VhdSourcePath      :
Incompatibilities  : {21024}

PS C:\Windows\system32> move-vm -Name GuestVM -DestinationHost DestHost -IncludeStorage -DestinationStoragePath \\NASShare\hyper_v

move-vm : Virtual machine migration operation for 'ust00eovscsm11' failed at migration destination 'DestHost'.
(Virtual machine ID 78DBC993-F4C8-4CBB-B098-15730BEA00D5)
The virtual machine 'GuestVM' is not compatible with physical computer 'DestHost'. (Virtual machine ID
78DBC993-F4C8-4CBB-B098-15730BEA00D5)
Could not find Ethernet switch 'Virtual Switch 106'.
Memory reservation below minimum.
The operation cannot be performed because the object is not in a valid state.
At line:1 char:1
+ move-vm -Name GuestVM-DestinationHost DestHost -IncludeStorage -Dest ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Microsoft.Hyper...VMMigrationTask:VMMigrationTask) [Move-VM], Virtual
   izationOperationFailedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidObjectState,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.MoveVMCommand

As I'm sure you can see, I have one generic incompatibility when I run the compare. When I do the move, it shows that the minimum memory is too low and that the switch doesn't exist on the destination.  Why aren't these in the compatibility report?

April 20th, 2015 9:39pm

Compare-VM is a process - you execute it and capture the response and then drill into it.

Read my blog, it explains how to use it - you are expecting it all at the top and it isn't.

April 20th, 2015 9:45pm

Hi Dave,

Please enable the processor compatibility mode on the guest VM. Most of the network incompatibilities issue is the Incorrect Virtual Switch name, please ensure on both the machines the Hyper-V configuration is same.

More information:

Using Compare-VM on Compare-VM

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2014/02/13/using-compare-vm-on-compare-vm.aspx

Im glad to be of help to you!

April 21st, 2015 10:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics