Common Dialog controls in Windows Server 2008 crashing non-Microsoft applications
Dear Windows Server 2008 R2 Team, Whenever I do a File Save As and File Open As in non-Microsoft applications like Firefox, Chrome they keep crashing repeatedly or freezes for a long while and then lands on 'Favorites' folder. The problem happens to be epicentered on the Common Dialog control of Windows Server 2008 R2. Can some one help out getting it right please? Note: I also had earlier initiated this topic (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/c2a84475-f9e4-4a43-abc2-598649a5c78a) but could not pursue it at that time in depth. Since that thread happens to be locked, I am initiating a new discussion now.
July 6th, 2011 7:13pm

Hi, I would like to confirm that if this issue only happens when trying to save files in Favorites folder? Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to narrow down the possible software conflicts. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 What’s the result in Clean Boot? If the issue persists in Clean Boot, you may also try the following steps to check if certain shell software cause such issue. Run ShellExView ================= 1. Please download the ShellExView to your Desktop from the following link: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 2. Right-click the shexview.zip file, select "Extract All", and the Extraction Wizard will appear. 3. Select "Next", and under "Files will be extracted to this directory", type "C:\tool" (without the quotation marks). 4. Select "Next" and select "Finish". 5. Locate the directory C:\tool and double click shexview.exe. 6. Run the program and scan the computer. 7. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list. 8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items". 9. Quit and restart the computer to check the Windows Explorer issue again. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2011 10:01pm

Dear Arthur, I don't have any custom tool with Shell Integration installed other than the default Windows Explorer provided ones. Furthermore I am not trying to save anything to the favorites folder. When the web browser attempts to throw open the save Dialog, the initialization itself freezes the web browser and/or crashes it.
July 6th, 2011 10:20pm

Hi, Please run Windows Updates to make sure that all the compatibility updates are installed. If non-Microsoft applications still crash, please contact the software vendor for further assistance. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 14th, 2011 1:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics