Command line initiate automatic updates

Hi All

I want a line at the end of my script to seach for windows updates and ideally down load them

I am getting the error 80072ef3   in general the errors are relate to not being able to search for updates

I am running the command under a domain admin context under a rstricted users account  but no joy

all other commands however do run successfully

Interestingly when I switch to my user account I can update windows no problem.Proxy server is set correctly on the regular user account and other commands that need both the proxy and admin creds on the regular account run without a hitch.

If it runs under my logon but not from cmd under my creds. what is it Im not seeing?

Thanks

Con

April 30th, 2015 5:12pm

I am running the command under a domain admin context under a rstricted users account  but no joy.
All other commands however do run successfully

What command would this be?
What are the other commands?
What is your script?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2015 5:31pm

Hi

I am trying c:\windows\system32\wuapp.exe to launch the gui and then update windows, by having the update now button clicked.

I am using a third party program called wuinstall.exe /install

Both of these work under my logon profile but not when run on the users under my doamin admin context

All other command do work when run this way.

May 3rd, 2015 8:43am

You cannot do this.  It will not work.
May 3rd, 2015 8:51am

Bear in mind the update windows automatically is greyed out and "managed by your systems admin" any searches for updates will fail.

wuauclt.exe  is not in the windows y system32 file pathMachines are 32bit

I downloaded wuauclt.exe and get an error saying its for a 64 bit system  downloaded the 32 but wuauclt from microdofty but still get the it for a 64 system error

May 3rd, 2015 10:10am

The Windows client is always right here:

c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

What you are asking and posting makes no sense.  You cannot do what you are trying to do.  It will not work with any utility or third party program.

May 3rd, 2015 10:43am

Hi

Yeah searched c:\windows\system32   but it wasint there on 2 systems i tried.   I did manage to find the wuauclt.exe installer for 32 bit online so I installed it and it responds now.

Regarding updating via the command line, I recall it did work but under only under my login.  Wuinstall did search and find a ton of updates.

I see we are using a wsus and the server is https://sccm:OurServer.com:8531

ideally id like to stick to native windows commands to do this.

Is there a reason you reckon it cannot be done?  

We are required to manually update windows at the end of every build and this is often forgotten or neglected so automating it should be be an option.

Thanks 

May 3rd, 2015 4:34pm

It can only be done from an admin account.  Post in WSUS forum as your issues have nothing to do with scripting.
May 3rd, 2015 5:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics