Code 35
Hi,I have Windows 2008 server installed and while installing the driver for our proprietary device,we get the error for code 35, mentioning the firmware to be updated.We have our own proprietary BIOS, in which we have done the modifications to see our device of size greater than 4GB.From BIOS code 35, it has mentioned that, the MPS table has missed an entry.How do we come to know more details about the error.Is there a way to dump the MPS table and find out.I have gone through the MP Spec, but how do I know which entry I have missed, so as to modify the BIOS.How can I debug the problem further ?Viswesh
October 13th, 2008 2:44pm

Some more information, which I can provide is that,It is a PCI device and in the bios we have configured only BAR0 and our device size if more than 4G.We want Windows to detect the device and determine its size and then request us to install the driver.But as I mentioned earlier, we are getting firmware error code 35.Is there any system log, I can have a look, to have a better understanding ofthe root cause.Certain clarifications, which we require is that, 1) Against what all does Windows check when it detects a new PCI device ?2) How does it determine its size ?3) What missing entry might prompt Windows to fail with error code 35.Thanks,Visweshps:- Inputs or documentation on any of these questions are welcome.Looking forward to some answers.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 13th, 2008 5:56pm

Hello, Based on my research and according to my knowledge, this error message usually indicate that the BIOS should be updated. I strongly recommend that you contact the computer vendors to obtain a new BIOS. Here is an article about the information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732456.aspx Additionally, I also found the following article. However, I would still recommend that you get the latest BIOS: http://www.pcdriverdoctor.com/fixerror/code-35.html Best regards,Chang Yin
October 15th, 2008 3:05pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Changing the BIOS may not be easy unless and until I know what exactly is the root cause.That is the reason I am looking for some more information atleast to go some deeper level.As specified in the error code detail, there is a missing entry in the MPS table,but is there a way to know what could be the missing entry.I will download the scan program as mentioned in the pc driver site and let us hope that the error gets solved.Does anyone have an idea what is Windows expecting ?Regards,Viswesh
October 15th, 2008 7:22pm

Hello Viswesh, Based on my knowledge, the MPS table is contained in the BIOS and is all hardware related. I am sorry to say that I have little knowledge on this and you need to contact the device manufacturers to find which entry of this table is missing. After some research, I just find that if the MPS table settings within the particular BIOS is not compatible (not properly configured for an operating system), the BIOS might not fully populate the PCI interrupt routing entries in the MP Configuration Table (part of the Intel MultiProcessor Specification). The PCI interrupt is required for operating system to fully initiate a device for the system. This might be why the device is not initiated successfully. I am not sure which kind of motherboard you are using. However, based on my experience, updating the BIOS is usually very simple. In most cases, you only need to get it from computer vendors (usually can be downloaded from the website) and run it like running an EXE file. Note that, you should make sure that you get the proper BIOS before running it. Best regards,Chang Yin
October 16th, 2008 3:43pm

Hi Chang, I am using Supermicro H8QME motherboard and the bios is not the same which is being transported with the board.We had asked AMI to provide a separate one to incorporate some changes. So it might be pretty difficult to go back to them, without letting them know what exactly could be the problem,as the same thing is working in Linux. I had a look at the MP tabloe specification 1.4, and had a look at the MP table dump.From the individual entries for IO APIC and bus interrupt sources and system interrupt entries,I dont see any problem directly. I might be missing something but still it is not pretty easy I suppose.Regarding the PCI interrupt as you mentioned I will try to look into more details of the entry. I am willing to spend some time to find the root cause,before passing the band to AMI. Thanks, Viswesh
October 16th, 2008 9:31pm

Hi,Let us take it this way.From Windows point of view, we just have the error35.Let us say for the BIOS manufacturers to correct it, they should be knowing more about the error right, as mentioning a MISSING MPTABLE ENTRY may not really help unless and until, this error conforms to only one error.So suppose this error code is for a group of errors,then there must be some more information to debug further and to come out of this.Let me know if anybody knows atleast a bit more information.Regards,Viswesh
October 22nd, 2008 3:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics