Cloud and Storage account needed

For my solution in Visual Studio that contains both an MVC application as well as a few RESTful endpoints that are constructed using Web API. I am not going to use Azure SQL Storage. I  already created my website in the Azure Management portal that I want to publish my solution to.

When I choose to "Publish" from Visual Studio, it says that I need to create a Cloud Service Account and a Storage Account in order to publish.  Why is this? Why do I need a Storage Account when I don't plan on using Azure storage? And why do I need a cloud service account? My understanding is that those are used for Web Roles and I specifically want to run this in a simple Azure web site.

I'm trying to determine why Cloud Service and Storage accounts are required. Any help or advice provided would be a great help! Thanks in advance

August 26th, 2015 11:20am

You need a storage account  for any cloud service and will be used for the diagnostics repository. It is absolutely required . But if you don't deploy this as a cloud service, you dont need a storage account by default either. Using A Cloud service is not required, just right-click the web application project when you publish. Also, make sure there's no WebRole.cs class inside your project, class that might have been added if you've ever added a cloud service project inside your solution and/or created the web application project as a web role.

• Marked as answer by IsabellavD 15 hours 55 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 11:22am

wow, thats what I call a quick answer :-) tnx!
August 26th, 2015 11:23am

Welcome :-)
  • Marked as answer by IsabellavD 15 hours 55 minutes ago
August 26th, 2015 11:24am

You need a storage account  for any cloud service and will be used for the diagnostics repository. It is absolutely required . But if you don't deploy this as a cloud service, you dont need a storage account by default either. Using A Cloud service is not required, just right-click the web application project when you publish. Also, make sure there's no WebRole.cs class inside your project, class that might have been added if you've ever added a cloud service project inside your solution and/or created the web application project as a web role.

• Marked as answer by IsabellavD Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:20 PM
August 26th, 2015 3:17pm

August 26th, 2015 3:17pm

August 26th, 2015 3:19pm

August 26th, 2015 3:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics