Closing unnecessary ports on a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server
I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server that I connect to using remote desktop. This server runs DNS, FTP (port 21), IIS (port 80), mail server (25 & 110), remote desktop, MS SQL server 2005, and MySQL. I need to close all non-critical ports on this server leaving only what I really need open. I am even debating whether to even have the ports open for the SQL and MySQL server as I really don't need someone accessing it remotely. What free or relatively low cost solution can I implement to close the ports on this server (whether manually or automatically)? I would like to keep necessary Windows stuff open; however, if there is an unnecessary program that is running then I am willing to disable it to close a port. I have done a Google search and not finding a satisfactory solution. This server is located at a datacenter, so I cannot implement a firewall solution on my end.
May 29th, 2009 1:40am

Hi, I would like to confirm why you cannotenable firewall on the server. In my opinion, we can enable Window Firewall on the server to block all the incoming traffic, and manually open the ports that are required, such as the port 53, 80, etc. For more information, you can refer to the following articles: ICF in Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 blocks unsolicited inbound unicast, multicast, and broadcast traffic http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329928 Service overview and network port requirements for the Windows Server system http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2009 12:09pm

well if you use the windows firewall i suppose you can use the "netsh" commands or even perform a batch script for closing the bunch of ports...for e.g. if you would like to add an opening to port 80 your command would be:"netsh firewall add portopening TCP 80 HTTPPort" which would open the port 80....and similarly...."netsh firewall delete portopening TCP 80" which would close the open port....hope this should help.....or else please do revert back to this post.....:)Regards, KOWSHAL H.M. a.k.a W@R10CK
June 2nd, 2009 3:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics