Cloning a DC for test environment - 'unidentified network' problems...
We recently created a test environment for some of our developpers (MSDN users) to test a new version of TFS. We cloned (using SCVMM) one of our domain controllers, our TFS server and a XP workstation and connected them all via a private HyperV network. The goal was to give them complete domain authentication functionality, while allowing them to test the upgrade procedure for TFS prior to deploying it enterprise-wide. Now the strange thing about this is, if the gateway on the NIC in the DC is set to the pre-cloned gateway (no gateway on the private network obviously), and our domain isn't listed in the past list of network locations I can dis-able the network adapter and re-enable itand it will correct determine the network domain - and all of the AD elements appear to be working correctly. However, after a reboot, it goes back to unidentified network. The problem we've run in to is that the domain controller doesn't function properly. It doesn't show as being connected to our domain, but rather an unidentified network. Any suggestions on how to get it running correctly? Here are some details on troubleshooting that I've done:1. We originally were going to use a differnt subnet for this - although it's a private network, we didn't want to take any chances. Since then we have reverted everything back to the original IPs and re-cloned the PDC. 2. I've used NTDSUtil to delete all of the other domain controllers. 3. We have deleted the old DNS zone and re-created it on the private network. It creates fine and everything populates as expected.4. Firewall has been turned off completely. 5. I've adjusted Group Policy to have any unknown network become a private network - instead of the public network it was originally.6. I've deleted the network card and re-installed. Any other suggestions? I know it's a little bit of a strange case...-Troy
July 17th, 2009 7:10pm

Hello,the first important step is to NEVER connect this test environment with the production one.Does the cloned DC have the FSMO roles and is Global catalog server?Then make sure that all other DCs and DNS servers are removed from AD database and all DNS zones.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846/en-usIf you change ip addresses make sure to run ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2009 2:41am

Hello,the first important step is to NEVER connect this test environment with the production one.Does the cloned DC have the FSMO roles and is Global catalog server?Then make sure that all other DCs and DNS servers are removed from AD database and all DNS zones.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846/en-usIf you change ip addresses make sure to run ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Meinolf,Thanks for the reply... I was about ready to type a 'done all that'-reply, but decided to retrace my steps and found something in ASDI edit that I had missed... everything seems to be working great now. Thanks for the help!-Troy
July 20th, 2009 4:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics