Clients not registering in DNS?
A little background: We have one main location running Essential Business Server 2008 (will be switching to Server 2008 R2 soon since EBS discontinued..) this includes 2 DCs, each running DNS server and one running a DHCP server. At the main location, the DHCP server gives addresses for 207.184.200.128/25. We do not use that DHCP server for our other five locations, but those computers use the DNS servers at the main site (for domain services). They are all XP SP2 or higher. The five locations were all on manual addressing (horrible setup I was left with when I started). We had a bunch of spare Linksys WAP54G's, so I decided to program them with DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) to enable a DHCP server at each site. Now, I did put in the 15 option for DNS suffix, and computers are pulling that option, but for some reason they aren't registering in DNS. I know it was working fine before I set up DHCP at each of the sites, but now all the remote computer's DNS entries have dropped off the main site after 2 weeks and I can't get them to reregister. They are all domain joined and the DNS servers are set right... confused! I did notice when I ran the DNS manager on our one system it fails both of it's checks, but the other one is having no problems. Checking the DNS Global Logs, there hasn't been anything more than informational entries since before May and those are just "hasnt finished loading background zones... blah blah" error that I've seen quite frequently, which are followed with information entries "background loading of zones completed"... all the computers at the main site register in DNS just fine, domain joined or not.
July 8th, 2010 10:47pm

Also ran dcdiag /test:dns on the one server with the DNS issue and it came back with a warning that the DNS server it was set to (8.8.8.8) could not resolve our domain _ldap. stuff, but thats the second network card... another actually has the correct DNS servers in it, the one with the "wrong" DNS is on an external network so it couldnt resolve our internal DNS servers anyways but I changed it just to get a pass. Ran the test again and it passed, but running the tests under the Monitor tab on the DNS server still fails.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2010 10:57pm

Ok this is weird... take a look at http://yfrog.com/5pfailobj On EDM01, the test against EDM01 fails. If I go to EDM03, and test EDM01, it passes.
July 8th, 2010 11:20pm

nothin, huh? I am guessing it is a problem with my DHCP servers somehow, as when the devices were static IP they were registering fine... or at least, their addresses didnt change so DNS was always current and they didn't drop off :p
July 9th, 2010 6:54pm

It looks like when the devices use the DHCP server provided by DD-WRT then they will not register in DNS. Even if I try ipconfig /registerdns it does not do it. As soon as I make the address manual, it registers in DNS no problem. I tried to enable DD-WRT as a forwarder but somewhere along the line there must be a router that doesn't support DHCP relaying because it just times out. I made the new scope and everything no problem but it's not populating. I thought the DHCP Server knows which pool to lease from based on the gateway the request came through, is this true? I thought there was supposed to be some kind of Priority Support for technet members, as I see the link to the forums is Priority support in Technet Forums and I haven't heard from anyone in 2 business days. /shrug
July 14th, 2010 10:05pm

You may want to ask them here. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/ Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
July 14th, 2010 10:46pm

I thought there was supposed to be some kind of Priority Support for technet members, as I see the link to the forums is Priority support in Technet Forums and I haven't heard from anyone in 2 business days. /shrug I know this old but wisers4me, did you ever get resolution for your Priority Support for technet members issue? I am getting the same thing.
December 9th, 2011 3:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics