Client on domain cannot access SQL server on workgroup
Hi,

I have a quick question regarding domains and workgroups.

Currently I am working on an issue in the office of a small business. Right now there are 3 client computers that connect to a dell server running windows std. server 2003. The server has sql running on it that takes care of the invoicing system. Two out of the three work stations are able to use the database fine, but there is one that is unable to connect to the database. The only different that I could find is that the two workstations that DO work are currently set to use a workgroup, whereas the one workstation that does NOT work is set to use a domain...... I tried switching that computer to workgroup, but then I was unable to login as the normal user that I had always logged in as before.....

What can I do to solve this dilemma?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, and if it is, if someone would point me to the correct one I would appreciate it.

Thanks
-steve
October 12th, 2007 1:35pm

If you have a domain in your environment, then why don't you join all your clients to that domain and use Windows Authentication as a login method for your SQL Server logins? This is the safest way of loging in to SQL Server.

However, to login on your 3th client computer, you should go to My Computer\Manage\Users and create a user account to use on that machine as a local user. And when you unjoined that computer from domain then you'd use that user account to login locally.

After that, be sure you have connection with SQL Server. Try to Ping it for example and then try to connect to SQL Server with correct SQL Server Login details.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 13th, 2007 12:02pm

Ekrem nsoy wrote:
However, to login on your 3th client computer, you should go to My Computer\Manage\Users and create a user account to use on that machine as a local user. And when you unjoined that computer from domain then you'd use that user account to login locally.

After that, be sure you have connection with SQL Server. Try to Ping it for example and then try to connect to SQL Server with correct SQL Server Login details.

Thats kind of what I was thinking of doing off of the top of my head, I was just wondering if maybe there was a easier solution, as I really would prefer not to have to move all of his files, etc. over to a new account.

Thanks
-steve
October 13th, 2007 1:41pm

Steve,

Do you still need help with this?

Thank you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 25th, 2014 2:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics