Client OS Information Missing In ADUC

I helping someone with an issue where when they add a Windows 7 client to the domain the OS information is not in AD. I've looked at ADSIEDIT and it is not there. I've also searched TechNet, google and Bing but do not see anything relating to this issue. I'm hoping someone here has an idea.

This is started happening recently but not around the time of any patches to the DC's. I've asked them to remove and read to the domain but it does not fix the issue. They are running fully patched 2003 DC's.

Any ideas?

Thanks

March 30th, 2015 11:42pm

Hi,

Can you tell us the Domain Functional Level ?

For OS information you can go to ..

On Domain Controller > Run > Type "dsa.msc" > Enter > "Active Directory Users and Computer" > CLick on "Find Object" > Filter "Find" Drop down menu and select "Computers" > Find the Target computer name "ABC-PC.Domain.local" > After it shown on the result panel > Select the computer > go to properties > Go to "Operating System" and you can see the result. 

revert back if farther help required. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2015 12:40am

Hi swinney,

Would you please confirm if the client joined the domain successfully? If yes, then it could take some minutes to replicate and synchronise the data. Please make sure the replication working fine and then check the clients' system information as koustov introduced above.

Best Regards,

Elaine

March 31st, 2015 7:42am

I would agree with Elaine where you need to wait for AD replication to take place. You can check if something is wrong in AD replication using repadmin command.

In case, you still do not see the information in ADUC, please try executing this command line and see if it displays the OS: 

dsquery * -filter "(&(objectCategory=computer)(name=ComputerName))" -attr operatingsystem

Just replace ComputerName with your computer name.

March 31st, 2015 2:09pm

Domain Functional Level: 2003

Forest Functional Level: 2000

I search in ADUC, ADSIEDIT, and use dsquery and the client computer Operating system information is not there for Windows 7 clients added to the domain (successfully) recently.

Ahmed,

I have attached ADUC to each domain controller directly and the information is still missing.

The thing that was done to the DC's was MS patches. Has anyone heard of issues like this relating to patches recently?

March 31st, 2015 2:49pm

It looks like the computer account lacks permissions to update itself. I would recommend reviewing the permissions applied on the computer account especially SELF ones: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd875539(v=ws.10).aspx
March 31st, 2015 3:04pm

Domain Functional Level: 2003

Forest Functional Level: 2000

I search in ADUC, ADSIEDIT, and use dsquery and the client computer Operating system information is not there for Windows 7 clients added to the domain (successfully) recently.

Ahmed,

I have attached ADUC to each domain controller directly and the information is still missing.

The thing that was done to the DC's was MS patches. Has anyone heard of issues like this relating to patches recently?

Why is the Forest Functional Level still at 2000?  Please also remind whomever you're assisting that Server 2003 is End of Life on July 14, 2015.  That's only 3 1/2 months away.
March 31st, 2015 3:14pm

I compared "all" of the permissions on a computer object that is ok with one that is not and did not find any differences.

Again the only thing "that I know for sure" that has changed is patches to the Windows 7 machines and the DC's

I also asked them try and remove/add to the domain using another user.

March 31st, 2015 3:29pm

Why is the Forest Functional Level still at 2000?  Please also remind whomever you're assisting that Server 2003 is End of Life on July 14, 2015.  That's only 3 1/2 months

March 31st, 2015 3:46pm

What exactly is the issue?  Is it that the computer account is not showing up in AD, or that they can't see any information in the "Operating System" tab of a computer account?
March 31st, 2015 4:58pm

Computer is in AD and the client is processing gpo's. The "Operating System" tab is blank for new machines.
March 31st, 2015 4:59pm

Hey Swinney,

Just to try, can you change the OS version info using ADSIEDIT for a machine to some text "OSTEST" and reboot.

Post reboot of the client machine, what are you observing in ADSIEDIT for changed OS attrib? did any updates happened

Regards, Dev

March 31st, 2015 5:49pm

Hi Swinney,

Is there any update on this issue?

We'd like to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Elaine

April 3rd, 2015 9:18am

I helping someone with an issue where when they add a Windows 7 client to the domain the OS information is not in AD. I've looked at ADSIEDIT and it is not there. I've also searched TechNet, google and Bing but do not see anything relating to this issue. I'm hoping someone here has an idea.

This is started happening recently but not around the time of any patches to the DC's. I've asked them to remove and read to the domain but it does not fix the issue. They are running fully patched 2003 DC's.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I bet this is a ACL issue, note that the clients are responsible for updating this info to AD. Verify permissions against:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc96181
April 7th, 2015 10:35pm

Hi,

I have setup lab with similar scenario and I have domain controller DC-1 Windows 2003 SP2 Ent. Edition. And domain functional level is 2003 & Forest functional level 2000. I have client machine Windows 7.0 and I can see the operating system tab updated for Windows 7.0 machine. Hence it is for sure a permission issue and I agree with Christoffer Andersson.

April 8th, 2015 1:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics