Client Domain Join to Server 2012 Essentials Domain

Hi everybody

We are testing MS Server 2012 Essentials at the moment. Now we got the following question:
Can we somehow add a Windows 7 or Windows 8 Client PC to the Essentials Domain manually?

We will not need the connector software on all client PCs.

If we want to join the Client manually, we can provide the security credentials (of course we then use an admin account), but after some loading time, the clients says he cannot find the domain...

I would be glad for any help.

Many thanks in advance and best regards.

Reto

August 21st, 2013 2:11am

Try set the client DNS to the server's static ip, and try again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2013 5:01am

The connector does more, much more than just enable backup and you will find you will have to do more manual configuration at some level.  Better to join with the connector and use the launch pad to disable backup for selected client computers.
August 21st, 2013 2:32pm

Hi

We know that the connector does more than backup.
But I just want to know if it is possible to join the domain without installing the connector.
Just like a "normal" domain join in an environment with "normal" Windows servers.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Reto

September 4th, 2013 5:13am

And sorry for my late response...

September 4th, 2013 5:13am

Yes, afaik, you can join any windows domain the "old fashioned way",  and certainly an Essentials domain, but why would you?  Like asking if it is possible to grow plants after planting the seeds one by one with a stick to make the holes and weeding with a hoe.  You might end up at the same place but with an imense amount of additional work.
September 4th, 2013 5:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics