Client Auth vs Machine Auth certifcate
Hello, I plan on using certificate authentication to my WiFi networking using the recomended process fom microsoft. According to the doco the certificate has to have the client Authenticaton attribute. My question is whats the difference or is there a difference\reason you would use a Client Auth cert rather than a machine auth cert?
April 28th, 2011 1:51pm

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:51:35 +0000, Gunna wrote: Hello, I plan on using certificate authentication to my WiFi networking using the recomended process fom microsoft.? According to the doco the certificate has to have the client Authenticaton attribute.? My question is whats the difference or is there a difference\reason you would use a Client Auth cert rather than a machine auth cert? With 802.1x authentication you can choose between authenticating users, authenticating computers, or authenticating both with certs. A caveat here, and you're likely going to want to do more research on 802.1x, if you don't authenticate the computer account as well as the user account, you're not going to get Group Policy applied to the computer at computer start-up. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca I must have slipped a disk; my pack hurts.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2011 1:55pm

Hi Guna, I believe you are asking difference between client certificate and machine certificate. When you open your IE > Certificate : Personal folder This is a client certificate store, which user use to get authenticate to a cert auth server. Now, if I assign a user a certificate :cert 1 and assign a machine : cert 2 now if I am logged inside the machine then I will inheret not only cert 1 and also cert 2. I hope this will help. Cheers !! Dhruv
April 28th, 2011 10:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics