Clean and Pristine AD Migration with same top level domain, possible?

We had planned on doing a C&P migration of a domain with the initial assumption that the TLD was .local.

Turns out it is .com, is it still possible to do C&P?

TLD is company.com, no sub domain.

We want xxxxxxx.company.com as the AD sub domain.  From everything I read C&P requires a different TLD or can it work so long as we use a sub domain?  Eventually the old server will go away.

Going from 2003 64 Bit to 2012 R2 as far as schema.

February 25th, 2014 9:45am

Yes you can.

But

If you have xyz.com now and you want sub.xyz.com and you create this as a child domain then the old xyz.com will always be around.  You can create sub.xyz.com as a different forest and migrate off of xyz.com if you want.

If you're going from 2003 to 2012 you'll need to wait for the newest version of ADMT to be released.  Right now 3.2 does not support 2012.  You can create the new domain as 2008 R2 and then raise it to 2012 after your migration if you need to start soonest.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2014 1:08pm

You can't do a graft of your current domain to a new forest.  You can do a migration with free tools from Microsoft, Active Directory Migration Toolkit (ADMT)

ADMT
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974332(v=WS.10).aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8377

February 25th, 2014 1:13pm

Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 27th, 2014 2:39am

is it possible to C&P from domain.com to the same exact domain.com name in parallel (having both up)? Or am i forced to move it do a different domain?
May 9th, 2015 6:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics