Cisco router port help newbie
I have a NAS200 which works fine on my newtork I have a cisco 851-w-g router On the NAS200 you can setup SMTP email to be sent on error conditions It requires port 2525 for this feature to work I know smtp uses port 25 but not on this device strange right? If I use port 25 on the nas200 it gives an error So Linksys support told me to use 2525 this was a long time ago. I had this working fine when I was using my internet providers router but I bought the cisco router to replace the ISP's router How can I check on the cisco router if port 2525 is open or not? I do not believe that the nas200 will open the port like some applications do I have windows 2003 servers running and exchange 2007 running I host a web site also here all working great any ideas? if you need my cisco config posted let me know Thanks TomThomas R Grassi Jr
October 18th, 2011 12:32pm

Linksys support told you a dumb thing. Your e-mail server would have to be listening on port 2525 for this to work. Use 25. My guess is that on your internal DNS you don't have an MX record pointing to your Exchange server. Make sure that from another internal PC you can do "nslookup -q=mx example.com" where example.com is your e-mail domain. The MX record should point to your-exchange-server-internal-address.example.com. Unless you are having it sent to an outside e-mail address, this should never hit your router at all. Matt
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 18th, 2011 2:58pm

Matt thanks for replying I thought so too but it fails using port 25 I do have my internal dns set with an mx record pointing to my exchange server dns MX FQDN mail.tgcsnet.com FQDN mail server tgcs005.our.network.tgcsnet.com mail 10 results of the nslookup from my internal pc C:\nslookup -q=mx tgcsnet.com Server: tgcs001.our.network.tgcsnet.com Address: 192.168.69.10 tgcsnet.com primary name server = tgcs001.our.network.tgcsnet.com responsible mail addr = hostmaster.our.network.tgcsnet.com serial = 19 refresh = 900 (15 mins) retry = 600 (10 mins) expire = 86400 (1 day) default TTL = 3600 (1 hour) the email is going to an external smtp server outgoing.verizon.net Any other thoughts? Glad you think I do not need to make changes to my cisco it works great as is. Thanks again TomThomas R Grassi Jr
October 18th, 2011 3:20pm

Matt I changed the NAS200 to use the exchange server for smtp and now it is working no need to use my isp smtp unless my exchange server goes down Thanks again TomThomas R Grassi Jr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 18th, 2011 3:31pm

Sounds good! Thanks for the closure :)
October 23rd, 2011 2:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics