Changing OU without restarting

Hi Everyone,

I am currently facing a problem regarding some Active Directory changes.

I am having two Windows Servers 2012 R2 running in a cluster with two Virtual Machines, one Windows Server 2012 R2 (DC) and one Windows Server 2008 R2.

As it is right now, all the servers are located at an OU called Servers, but in order to make some changes to the cluster, I am looking into moving the servers to the default Computers OU, if I need to make some changes to the cluster (which are being discussed). 

Unfortunately the servers are all located at a vessel, and have a very limited internet connection, so it isn't always possible to access the servers, making at somehow irresponsible to reboot the servers, when bigger changes has been made.

So my question are, what happens if I move the three servers from the Servers OU to the default Computers OU and doesn't restart the servers?
Will everything go on as usual and it is totally risk-free, or will the servers eventually gain a trust issue with the domain due to the OU change?

Please note, because the servers are at a vessel, it is very important that there are no downtime, not even during night because there are 24/7 crew on duty.

Best regards,

Peter

February 16th, 2015 10:59am

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

If you have the permission to achieve this and if  you use the ADUC to move the computer account. I think it is ok.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731825.aspx

Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2015 3:08am

Hi Vivian,

Thank you for your reply.

It sure does look like there wouldn't be any problems, but I would like to see it written down. I have approx. 15 domains where this change has to be done, and can't afford any mistakes.

Best regards,

Peter

February 17th, 2015 3:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics