Changing Hyper-V host and cluster virtual IP addresses to new subnet/VLAN

I have a 2 node Hyper-V 2012 R2 failover cluster, managed by System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2, and I would like to change the IP addresses of the hosts and the cluster, in order to move them to a new subnet and VLAN. The existing and new subnets are able to route to each other so all hosts will still be able to communicate throughout the parts of the process where they may be on separate subnets. There is also a dedicated cluster heartbeat network on its own subnet and VLAN that I am not altering in any way.

The 2 hosts are configured with 4 nics in a team, with dedicated virtual interfaces for each of the following:
-Live Migration
-Cluster Heartbeating
-Host management/general traffic (the cluster virtual IP address is also on the same subnet as these interfaces).

It is the host management/general traffic addresses that I want to change. The interfaces were created and configured with the Add-VMNetworkAdapter, New-NetIPAddres and Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan commands.

Please advise if the following process is correct:
1) Evacuate all the VMs from the first host to be changed and put it in maintenance mode.
2) Use Set-VMNetworkAdapter to change the name of the interface (the current name refers to the VLAN it's on)
3) Use Set-NetIPAddress to change the IP address and gateway of the interface as appropriate
4) Use Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan to set the VLAN ID
5) Take the host out of maintenance mode and move all VMs off the other host
6) Repeat above steps on the other host

I know that I will then need to change the cluster virtual IP address, but I have no idea how to do this or where to look for that setting. Please advise!

Cheers.

January 19th, 2015 6:50am

Hi new_guise,

For changing cluster node's IP address please refer to the link below :

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/230356?wa=wsignin1.0

For changing VIP please refer to this article :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chrad/archive/2011/09/16/changing-hyper-v-cluster-virtual-ip-address-vip-after-layer-3-changes.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 20th, 2015 6:19pm

Hi Elton,

Both of the linked resources refer to previous versions of Windows and do not apply to Server 2012 R2. Please advise if there are any resources describing this process for Server 2012 R2 failover clustering.

Thanks.

January 21st, 2015 1:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics