Changed computer name of Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller now Active directory and DNS don't work.

Okay, I messed up.  I installed Active Directory, DHCP and DNS roles on Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.  I then decided to change the servers name to better match the naming schema where the server will be installed.  Now Active directory and DNS won't work.  What are my options for getting this working properly?

Can I just change the machine name back to its original name, or can I make Active Directory and DNS recognize the new name?

Can I uninstall the AD and DNS roles and re-install them to pick up the new name?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

April 29th, 2015 10:56pm

You could try demoting the machine from a DC and then re-promoting it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 29th, 2015 11:00pm

Hi,

Once a DC is configured, the server will register related DNS resource records on DNS, including SRV, A and etc. simply rename the server will causes mistaken of DNS resource records. 

Detailed information about Demote a domain controller, you may reference the link below:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740017(WS.10).aspx

Besides, you may reference the link below about Rename a domain controller:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782761(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,
Eve Wang 
April 30th, 2015 9:50am

If this was 2012 I think you can change the name of a domain controller but not on a 2008 AD. You should have demoted the server and then rename it, and promote it again. Your problem now will be you cannot demote the server as it has a different name from what AD is expecting. Suggest you rename it back to the original name, then demote it, then rename it, and then promote it again. If you can demote it after the rename then you could just start from scratch again on this server. AD will be littered with entries for the old server name, you would need to go into the schema and manually trace any references to this and remove them manually.

WARNING: The schema is in effect the core of your Active Directory, if you delete something you should not then you can make the entire domain non functional. Take proper backups before trying to go down this route, maybe also remove a working DC from the domain, make the changes on it and then reconnect it again after you are sure it's in a good state.

April 30th, 2015 11:40am

This server is not attached to the network yet. 

I am configuring it to create an Active Directory domain and run DNS. 

I added the roles, then changed the server name. 

Could I possibly remove the roles, delete the directories that were created and then re-install the roles?

May 3rd, 2015 1:01pm

This server is not attached to the network yet. 

I am configuring it to create an Active Directory domain and run DNS. 

I added the roles, then changed the server name. 

Could I possibly remove the roles, delete the directories that were created and then re-install the roles?

Hello,

if I understand you correct this is a new installation with now users etc. in the moment. Then do yourself a favor and start fresh from scratch. This is the best option, yes also the work intensively one, to have a proper running domain in the future.

Also keep in mind that it is recommended to have at least 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain and that this machines DON'T run anything else, so NO Exchange, SQL, RDS etc. etc.

May 7th, 2015 10:21am

I ended up uninstalling the Active Directory and DNS roles from the server and then re-installing them.  That worked fine.

Meinolf, I will plan out my actions before setting up another domain.  As for my problem here, the server had already been partially configured when I was asked to help.  I have learned from my mistakes.

Thanks to everyone.

May 9th, 2015 8:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics