Change what win32_operatingsystem reports to an application or user or computer?

We have a legacy app we would like to host on a server. However, it check what operating system its run in and it gives out a message(self made in the application) that the OS is invalid. I used processmonitor to check what happens when i run the application. It does a "select * from win32_operatingsystem" and in there it probably takes our and checks the caption or name property since we can get it running on a normal desktop version of windows(same buildnumber).

I also tried Applicationverifier with the highversionlie settings which did not work, since i have reason to believe it checks OS name or OS caption(Windows 7 Professional or equivalent).

So my question is, does anybody know of a way to fake the information you get from win32_operatingsystem? Ie id like to be able to change the result i get from running this in powershell:

get-wmiobject win32_operatingsystem | select-object name

To something i specify.

Any tips are helpful thanks!

January 22nd, 2014 5:20am

you can't change the result of the wmi query directly, But have you tried running the application in compatibility mode and setting it to think it is running on windows 7 rather than server?

Right click the exe > select properties > compatibility tab

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 22nd, 2014 6:09am

Yes it makes no difference. I think it is because the application makes an actual WMI query in its initial steps. 

January 22nd, 2014 6:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics