Change perl script to powershell

Hi all ,

I am new to programming , I would like to get help from this forum.

I have a perl program ( about 300 lines ) , I get a request to convert it to windows power shell script , I know it is a rather hard job , but I really want to get the job done , if I attach the progam here , would anyone help me for it ? very thanks    

February 26th, 2014 3:55am

I got a better idea, how about you describe what the script does and we'll give you some inspiration on how it could be done with Powershell :)

Use words or pseudo code.. Starting out with 300 lines of codes is a clumsy approach to convert anything, at least in my opinion, 'cause you quickly loose sight on what you want to achieve :) 

I will guess that it can be done with.... And I'm guessing here, 27 lines of Powershell :P

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 26th, 2014 4:25am

I got a better idea, how about you describe what the script does and we'll give you some inspiration on how it could be done with Powershell :)

Use words or pseudo code.. Starting out with 300 lines of codes is a clumsy approach to convert anything, at least in my opinion, 'cause you quickly loose sight on what you want to achieve :) 

I will guess that it can be done with.... And I'm guessing here, 27 lines of Powershell :P

February 26th, 2014 4:31am

I like to think up programs in pseudo code anyway, it helps me spot pitfalls and plan structure.
February 26th, 2014 10:57am

February 26th, 2014 12:24pm

February 26th, 2014 12:24pm

February 26th, 2014 9:27pm

February 26th, 2014 9:31pm

Hiya,

The code box is empty, as far as I can see...

February 27th, 2014 4:21am

February 27th, 2014 5:25am

February 27th, 2014 5:25am

Hiya,

That's Pseudocode for "wait for user input"   :-P
February 27th, 2014 8:39am

Hiya,

That's Pseudocode for "wait for user input"
February 27th, 2014 10:51pm

Hiya,

the formatting of the script is ludicrous, at least viewing in Notepad :)

Can you suggest an editor to view this in?

Also your description should be "a bit" more accurate. 

If presuming that Atmail is the application, then I'm guessing there is some sort of API against it? From the script it might look like your querying directly in the database. But again, hard to see without proper formatting.

February 28th, 2014 2:27am

Hiya,

If presuming that Atmail is the application, then I'm guessing there is some sort of API against it? From the script it might look like your querying directly in the database. But again, hard to see without proper formatting.

February 28th, 2014 2:31am

Hi ,

It could be read by using notepad , would you please try ? thanks

February 28th, 2014 3:30am

Hiya,

I can open it, but the formatting of the script it self makes it very hard to read. In order words, I can't be arsed to create a script from that, as it will take me a few hours or more to format properly and understand.

February 28th, 2014 3:54am

thanks reply ,

I tried to download the file from a few PC , it can be read in correct format in wordpad , would you try , notepad , wordpad or ms word .

Very thanks.

February 28th, 2014 10:14am

Hiya,

February 28th, 2014 10:24am

Hiya,

February 28th, 2014 10:24am

Opening in Word gives proper formatting. I will see what I can make of it.
February 28th, 2014 11:11am

Okay, from what I can read and understand, I do not see any value in transferring it into a Powershell script.As far as I understand your creating AtMail accounts, based on LDAP queries.

In other words, why would you want to change it into Powershell?

1: It's not against Microsoft product. (AtMail)

2: Your doing some LDAP queries, not much that can be trimmed there.

February 28th, 2014 11:44am

Okay, from what I can read and understand, I do not see any value in transferring it into a Powershell script.As far as I understand your creating AtMail accounts, based on LDAP queries.

In other words, why would you want to change it into Powershell?

1: It's not against Microsoft product. (AtMail)

2: Your doing some LDAP queries, not much that can be trimmed there.

Hi Jesper ,

1: It use Atmail in linux , I just would like to migrate it to on windows server.

2: Yes , it use LDAP , powershell could do the same thing ?

March 1st, 2014 7:03am

Hiya,

2: Yeah. Although, if it's an Active Directory, there's some cmdlets that might be easier to use.

March 1st, 2014 11:41am

thanks reply ,

I am new to power shell , would you help on it ? very thanks

March 3rd, 2014 10:33am

thanks reply ,

I am new to power shell , would you help on it ? very thanks

Do you have any specific questions? I've generally found that it's best to completely scrap previous scripts and start fresh when migrating to PowerShell.
March 3rd, 2014 10:42am

Hi All,

Is it possible to migrate it to powershell , is there any  linux module is not exist it windows ? thanks

March 4th, 2014 9:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics