Change in IPSEC for Windows 2008?
Hi, I am working on creating a IPSEC connection between two Windows 2008 servers. I want to secure traffic (these servers have a firewall between them). Anyway, in the past (using Windows 2003), I simply created an IPSEC policy in either the local security policy or through a GPO. However, I see that the Windows 2008 process may be different. There seems to be IPSEC capabilites in the Widnows Firewall configuration. I simply want to secure traffice between these two servers. Can I simply use the old Windows 2003 method for creating IPSEC polices? Or do I have to use the new Windows Firewall method? (If so, why is the IPSEC Policy stuff still available in Windows 2008 server?)
October 5th, 2010 5:02pm

Hi, The IP Security Policy MMC snap-in can be used to configure IPsec policies that apply to computers running Windows Server 2003 or earlier versions of Windows. Although it can be used to configure IPsec policies that apply to computers running Windows Vista and later versions of Windows, you cannot use it to configure any of the advanced settings available in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. This MMC snap-in can be useful in mixed Windows environments. Security rules for Windows Firewall and for IPsec-based connections in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942957 Windows Firewall with Advanced Security and IPsec http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732283(WS.10).aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 6th, 2010 2:53am

Thank you for this answer... Yes, I did find that I could use the IPSEC Policy (like in Windows 2003) in Windows 2008 successfully. I understand that there are some advanced feature that I can not take advantage of when peforming the configuration this way. but at least I can get my IPSEC configuration installed quickly... Thanks...
October 11th, 2010 1:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics