Change domain
Hi, Suppose that I've purchased one domain like AbcCompany.com Here is the Domainlist file generated by Rendom, in my Win 2008 server. <?xml version ="1.0"?> <Forest> <Domain> <!-- PartitionType:Application --> <Guid>98d66f9e-91da-4b63-bcb5-0aabc91024dd</Guid> <DNSname>DomainDnsZones.win08.huamin.com</DNSname> <NetBiosName></NetBiosName> <DcName></DcName> </Domain> <Domain> <!-- PartitionType:Application --> <Guid>9c1312a2-2e37-4ceb-8fe0-208298f3d77b</Guid> <DNSname>ForestDnsZones.win08.huamin.com</DNSname> <NetBiosName></NetBiosName> <DcName></DcName> </Domain> <Domain> <!-- ForestRoot --> <Guid>77730944-a35d-4e15-89ce-75ebfba51eda</Guid> <DNSname>win08.huamin.com</DNSname> <NetBiosName>WIN08</NetBiosName> <DcName></DcName> </Domain> </Forest> Can I proceed to change the domain name using this changed Domainlist file? <?xml version ="1.0"?> <Forest> <Domain> <!-- PartitionType:Application --> <Guid>98d66f9e-91da-4b63-bcb5-0aabc91024dd</Guid> <DNSname>DomainDnsZones.AbcCompany.com</DNSname> <NetBiosName></NetBiosName> <DcName></DcName> </Domain> <Domain> <!-- PartitionType:Application --> <Guid>9c1312a2-2e37-4ceb-8fe0-208298f3d77b</Guid> <DNSname>ForestDnsZones.AbcCompany.com</DNSname> <NetBiosName></NetBiosName> <DcName></DcName> </Domain> <Domain> <!-- ForestRoot --> <Guid>77730944-a35d-4e15-89ce-75ebfba51eda</Guid> <DNSname>AbcCompany.com</DNSname> <NetBiosName>WIN08</NetBiosName> <DcName></DcName> </Domain> </Forest> Should I further map the relevant unique IP of current Win 2008 server, to AbcCompany.com, in Dyndns.org or Godaddy.com?Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
December 13th, 2012 11:31am

No, as it's called split-dns. you got one zone for your internal's network, and one zone for your external's network. In that rendom, you change the internal's zone, the external's zone does not need to change. (thus like with a nslookup from a public dns' server it will list your WAN's ip in exemple) In new setup I tend to use for the internal's zone domain like AbcCompany.local, thus it clever where the DNS's point-to even if the company got AbcCompany.com.MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring Twitter - @yagmoth555 () Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 13th, 2012 7:51pm

Hi, Can you please show in details that the new domainlist file should be after change?Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
December 14th, 2012 4:50am

There is no need to do any changes internally. Usually, some enterprises may require routing the internal users directly to the Web site without the need to go to internet and get it. This can be done by creating a new DNS zone named AbcCompany.com and creating an A record (usually www or an alias) that will point to the internal Web Server IP address / DNS record in the case of an alias. If this is not the case then there is no need for any changes. Please also note that there is no need that your internal AD name is the same as your external DNS name. However, if you need to rename your internal AD domain, refer to that: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738208(v=ws.10).aspx Be careful with the non-supported scenarios.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 16th, 2012 2:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics