Change boot sequence in windows 2003 (with software raid)
Dear Support, I face some difficulties to change the boot sequence in my windows 2003 that is configured with software raid (raid 1 for 2 hdds). Following is the boot.ini configuration: [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Boot Mirror C: - secondary plex" /NoExecute=OptOut multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Web" /fastdetect After apply above changes the window still loading rdisk(0) but not rdisk(1) that has been configured as the default boot. At the moment, every time, I perform remote reboot, I will need to be onsite to enter the correct boot option in order to allow the windows server boot up normally. Note: The reason rdisk(0) is not usable because if I use this drive as the default boot option, the server will keep rebooting with blue screen message. The blue screen will blink very fast and not even get a chance to see the exact error. Regards, Jai
September 21st, 2010 1:36pm

Hi, I’m afraid it’s by design behavior. Excerpt from the article below: "Do not convert basic disks to dynamic disks if they contain multiple operating systems (for example, the disk is set up to dual boot with another operating system). After the disk is converted to dynamic you will be able to start the operating system that you used to convert the disk, but you will not be able to start the other operating system(s) on the disk." Create and test a mirrored system or boot volume http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738132(WS.10).aspx Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2010 5:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics