Change TCP Port
I need to install Symantec Backup-Exec 12.5 Remote Agent. it requires Port TCP 10000, which is used by windows server 2008's one of the service call wininit.exe. My question is how i can change the Port of wininit.exe to any other free port. If i am stopping this service, it shows blue screen and then i have to make hard shutdown. Any Solution? Many Thanks in Advance. Regards,
December 12th, 2010 1:41pm

Hi, Thanks for positing here. It’s not recommend you to change default port of windows build-in service , you may consult with Symantec and acquire a solution or method to solve this service port conflict issue . Meanwhile, I found an article below for you refer: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24256 Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 13th, 2010 12:23pm

Hi, Many Thanks for your help. I have tried to follow the above link, but i am not able to find ndmp. Can you suggest any other way to solution this issue. Regards. Areeb
December 13th, 2010 1:02pm

I agree with Tiger. You should probably contact Symantec and get a solution from them. Many software packages allow you to customize the port and other configuration settings. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 13th, 2010 5:47pm

Hi Areeb, Thanks for update. So far we have no other methods or solutions but modify application settings and assign new ports. Please understand that we are not familiar with the product you mentioned ,however connect with Symantec support is a good way to solve it. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 14th, 2010 10:10am

Hi Tiger, Many thanks for your advise. Regards, Areeb
December 15th, 2010 1:06pm

Hey All, I recently ran into this issue and refused to accept that I had to make a change to all 250+ servers in my environment. A quick premier support call to microsoft resulted in the following solution. During boot up, the Wininit.exe process takes the first dynamic port available. Since windows 2008 the dynamic port range starting from 49152 (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929851) so on a windows 2008 box the Wininit.exe will use 49152. Probably the installation of TMG changed the first dynamic port to 10000 so now you see Wininit.exe is using port 10000. So the solution can be: you can use the command “netsh int ipv4 set dynamicport tcp start=10001 num=55535” to exclude TCP Port 10000 from dynamic port range and reboot the machine. After the reboot, verify that wininit is now using TCP Port 10001. Now you should be able to use BackupExec on TMG. The command is not quite right, it should be "netsh int ipv4 set dynamicportrange tcp startport=10010 numberofports=30000", but this has solved my issue and sidesteps the issue of having to change the port of backup exec on the rest of the servers in my environment.
July 19th, 2011 10:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics