Change Server 2008 Product Key
I recently installed Server 2008 Standard edition. However, when I go to change to product key in the System Properties, nothing happens. I click the link to change it, the cursor changes to an hourglass for approx. 3 seconds, and then nothing happens. Any ideas on how to to activate this server? It is fully updated, running on ESX 3.5, and the only role installed is a print server with 4 printers added. We have other 2008 servers running on the same platform with no problem. I tried rebooting but that did not fix the problem. I also tried restarting the Software Licensing services. Bob Stasiunas
December 18th, 2008 9:11pm

Go under all programs, and find activate server. This should allow you to change the key. this should be around, but I cannot find the spot for it at this point. I would think under accessories >>> system tools.Good luck.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2008 2:33am

There was no activate server option under All Programs, however I did manage to get it Activate the following way. Open a command prompt and change working directory to System32 directoryType in slmgr.vbs -ckms (this clears and KMS entry you may have)Type slmgr.vbs -upk (this removes any product key installed)Type slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (where the x's is the product key you wish to use)Type slmgr.vbs -ato (this activates the server) After these steps everything is now showing as activated. Hope this helps someone. Bob Stasiunas
December 19th, 2008 3:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics