Change Logical Switch Uplink Mode in VMM

Hello,

I have a logical switch setup in Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2 that has 4 physical hosts (Windows Server 2012 non-R2) in a cluster that are dependent upon it. Will there be any network disruptions if I change the Uplink Mode from "No Uplink Team" to "Team" while the logical switch is in use? The logical switch binds to physical adapters that are setup as trunk ports on a Cisco switch. Thanks.

- Chris

May 19th, 2015 4:35pm

Yes, changing uplink configuration to team will reconfigure NICs and causing network disruption. If all goes smoothly, then you'll probably loose some packets in the process, but if the operation fails, you may end up with misconfigured host with no network connectivity. So, to be on the safe side, verify that you have out-of-band connectivity to the hosts (or physical access to host's console), then place host in maintenance mode and evacuate all VMs from it before changing network configuration. Once you verified that the change was successful, move VMs back and proceed with the next host.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2015 3:29am

Hi,

I have the same issue, I'm looking for a solution.

if the Switch was applied on the Hosts, I think you have to disable the Switch from all hosts, that can cause a down time, and after change the uplink mode to team, and reapply the switch.

Thanks

May 20th, 2015 1:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics